Predict which Earth motion causes day and night. . ROTATION!. Can you model rotation with your body?. Shutter fold paper to the center. 2. Label Polaris (North Star) in the upper right corner with a yellow marker.
2. Label Polaris (North Star) in the upper right corner with a yellow marker.
3. Sketch Earth in the center in black– make it large but leave room for the rest!
4. Draw and label your equator in brown.
5. Draw and label the axis through the middle in red (be sure to include the angle 23.5°)
6. Add the arrows and labels in pink/purple
(counterclockwise – west to east)
7. Shade in the Night side and label, label the other side Day
* Night = # of hours of darkness
*Sun sets in the West
*Winter has longer Nights
Summer has shorter Nights
*Sun rises in the East
*Winter has shorter days.
Summer has longer days.
*Why don’t we get equal amounts of daylight
and darkness? (discuss)
Earth surface is curved - convex
The farther away from the equator the more the hours of light/dark will change
*Why does the length of day change with the seasons? (discuss)
Earth is tilted on its axis
Axis is always tilted in the same direction (@ Polaris – “North Star”)