350 likes | 644 Views
The Nature of God. “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” Psalm 139:7. I. What the Bible Teaches about the Nature of God. How did God get here? How did God create the earth?
E N D
The Nature of God “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” Psalm 139:7
I. What the Bible Teaches about the Nature of God • How did God get here? • How did God create the earth? • How does God know what to do? • Does God change His mind? • Does God see me at all times?
1. How did God get here? • Eternal • “I am that I am” Ex. 3:13 • Jehovah = “the existing one” • God has always been, and He always will be. • He is forever • “Ancient of days” Dan. 7:9
1. How did God get here? Eternal “the LORD shall endure forever” Ps. 9:7 “Thy years will have no end” Ps. 102:27
2. How did God create the earth? • Omnipotent = all powerful • Gen. 17:1 “I am the almighty God” • No limit to His power • His power enabled Him to Create the universe. • “with God all things are possible” Matt. 19:26 • Rev. 19:6 “Lord God omnipotent”
3. How does God know what to do? Omniscience = all knowing He is unlimited in His knowledge
3. How does God know what to do? Omniscience = all knowing “God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.” 1 Jn. 3:20 God has known from all eternity all that He can know.
3. How does God know what to do? Omniscience = all knowing “Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.” Ps. 147:5 God has known from all eternity all that He can know.
3. How does God know what to do? • Omniscience = all knowing • God knows our thoughts and everything about our lives • If God gained knowledge, implies He is not all knowing • God has known from all eternity all that He can know.
4. Does God change His mind? • Immutable = unchanging • “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today and forever.” Heb. 13:8 • Methods change • Principles are eternal
5. Does God see me at all times? • Omnipresence • God is free from the laws of limitations or space • God is present everywhere at the same time.
II. What the Bible Teaches about the Omnipresence of God Jer. 23:23-24 Acts 17:28 Ps. 139:7-12
The Omnipresence of God "Am I a God near at hand," says the LORD, "And not a God afar off? Can anyone hide himself in secret places, So I shall not see him?" says the LORD; "Do I not fill heaven and earth?" says the LORD. Jer. 23:23-24
The Omnipresence of God “For in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring.” Acts 17:28
The Omnipresence of God Ps. 139:7-12 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.
The Omnipresence of God Ps. 139:7-12 If I say, "Surely the darkness shall fall on me," Even the night shall be light about me; Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
The Omnipresence of God • Ps. 139:7-12 • There is no place in the universe to which anyone can go and be away from God. • God is geographically close to everyone and everything
III. Explanation of His Omnipresence Unlimited Infinite
Unlimited Eternity --------- unlimited in time Omnipotent --- unlimited in power Omniscience -- unlimited in knowledge Omnipresence - unlimited in space
Infinite Eternity [duration] ~ “I am that I am” Omnipotent [power] ~ “Almighty God” Omniscience [wisdom]~understanding Omnipresence [essence]~ not limited by space
IV. Lessons from his Omnipresence We can learn some valuable lessons from this characteristic of God.
IV. Lessons from His Omnipresence 1. We cannot hide our sins Prov. 15:3 “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.” Heb. 4:13 “...all things are naked and opened to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.”
IV. Lessons from His Omnipresence • 2. God sees what the righteous do • Prov. 15:3 “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.” • God sees and knows our good deeds
IV. Lessons from His Omnipresence 3. God is With Us Isa. 43:5 “Fear not: for I am with you:” Matt. 28:20 “...and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.” Temptations Afflictions
IV. Lessons from His Omnipresence 4. Spur us on to Holy Living “I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies, For all my ways are before You.” Ps. 119:168 “A soldier marches better when the General is watching.”
IV. Lessons from His Omnipresence 4. Spur us on to Holy Living “Does He not see my ways, And count all my steps?” Job 31:4
IV. Lessons from His Omnipresence • 5. We can worship anywhere • John 4:23-24 • God is a Spirit • He is not limited to any place • We can worship anywhere
The Omnipresence of God “In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Prov. 3:6 “Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.” Jas. 4:8
Hear John 12:48 • Believe John 8:24 • Repent Luke 13:3 • Confess Matt. 10:32-33 • Baptized Mark 16:16 • Faithful Matt. 24:13