Live Fish Markets in China, Hong Kong & ASEAN . Presented by Fatima Ferdouse & Sudari Pawiro INFOFISH . The importance of fishery trade in developing countries. FAO Fish price Index: (2002-2004=100 ). 2012. However, in Malaysia seafood prices remain high.
Fatima Ferdouse & SudariPawiro
Farmed vannamei shrimp
60-70pc ; RM 25/kg
Salmon steaks : RM 99/kg
The high side seafood market : Imported Organic Seafood in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand
Frozen Cod: US$70
Organic smoked salmon: US$ 100/kg
Breaded Organic Cod: US$200/kg
Organic salmon, US$ 150/kg
January - August
This year, the global financial crisis has had its impacts on the emerging markets but imports into Malaysia increased , indicating strong domestic demand
Now a days , it is rather difficult to draw a clear line between low , medium and high value species .
Marine fin fish such as groupers, sea bass , snappers , abalone , sea cucumber are the higher value aquaculture products with growing demand
With a different name ‘Siakap’ (Asian seabass) has a better image . When marketed as “barramundi” , it sells well at a higher price in Asian and western markets .
soft-shell crab farming is taking over many brackish water shrimp ponds in the region due to better market opportunities.
Imports of high value seafood continues to rise in Asia .
Over 60 species of marine finfish are traded in the market,
- Epinepheluscoioides Green grouper/orange-spotted grouper
- E. bleekeri Spotted grouper/duskytail grouper
-Lutjanusargentimaculatus Mangrove/red snapper
- E. polyphekadion Flower/cod grouper
- E. fuscoguttatus Tiger grouper
- Plectropomusareolatus Spotted coral grouper/trout grouper
- P. leopardus Leopard grouper
- E. malaboricus Malabar grouper
- P. maculatus Spotted coral/trout grouper
- Trachinotusblochii Pompano
- E. lauceolatus Giant grouper
(Source: WWF, Hong Kong)
Capture or culture species
Re-export to China
Economic Co-operation Framework Agreement in 2010: import tariff reduce to 5%