Unit 5. First aid. Period 3 Warming up and reading. 北京市平谷中学英语组 粟丹屏. First aid.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Period 3 Warming up and reading
is the kind of h____ given to someone who suddenly falls i__ or gets i_______ before a doctor can be f_____. Often the illness or injury is not serious, b__ there are other times when giving first aid quickly will s___ one’s life.
Nowadays there are a lot of accidents in our daily life. What would you do in such situations?
1. Lay the victim and keep him still.
2. Wash the venom(毒液) off the skin.
3. Apply pressure to the bitten area with your hands, and then with a bandage firmly over the bite.
1. Put warm water on the ankle to reduce the swelling.
2. Put a firm bandage around the foot and ankle.
1. If the person can cough, slap heavily on her back.
2. If he can’t cough and is turning blue in the face, hit him between the shoulder blades(肩胛) with the flat of hand three or four time.
1. Rub some butter on it.
2. Hold the burnt part under cold running water.
3. Put salt on the burnt part.
What will happen to her ?
The girl has pulled boiling water onto herself.
She will get burned.
Find out the main idea of each part.
The purpose / function of skin
Causes of burns
Types of burns
Characteristics of burns
First aid treatment
Read partⅠcarefully and answer the question.
What can skin do for our body?
1.Act as a barrier against disease, poisons and the sun’s harmful rays.
2.Keep you warm or cool.
3.Prevent you from losing water.
4.Give you sense of touch.
Read partⅡcarefully and answer the question.
How can we get burnt?
We can get burnt by _____________________
hot liquids, steam, fire,
radiation (by being close to high heat or fire,
etc), the sun, electricity or chemicals.
Read part Ⅲ & Ⅳcarefully and answer the questions.
How many types of burns are there? What are they?
1) First degree burns.
2) Second degree burns
3) Third degree burns
Look at the following pictures , and try to tell the type of burns and their characteristics.
The second degree burn
The first degree burn
tissue under them often can be seen.
The third degree burn
1. ________ clothing and jewellery near the burns.
2. ______ the burns with cool water.
3. ______ cool, clean wet cloths on the burns.
4. ______ the burned area gently.
5. ______ the burned area with a dry clean bandage.
6. ______ the burned area ______ than the heart, if possible.
7. ______ the victim ____the doctor or hospital, if possible.
1.Sam knocked over a kettle full of boiling water onto his legs. His legs became red, swollen and covered with blisters. Sam broke the blisters and poured icy water from the fridge onto his skin.
Sam shouldn’t have broken the blisters because the burns could become infected. He should have poured cool water, not icy water on the burn.
2.While ironing clothes, Miss Good accidentally touched the iron. Her wrist blistered and became watery. It hurt a lot. She put her wrist under the cold water tap and then kept placing cool, clean, damp cloths on it until it was less painful. Then she went to see a doctor.
3.Mrs Casey’s sleeve caught fire while she was cooking. Her arm looked terrible but it didn’t hurt. The skin was charred. Her husband took off her blouse and picked off bits of the blouse stuck to the burn. He then placed butter on the burn and covered it with a wet bandage.
4.Afetr an hour in the sun, Lily noticed her arms were red and hurt a bit. She went home and put them under cool running water.
Enjoy the performance of the classmates, and then try to help them!