Pesticide Use. Members: Audrey, Austin, Eric Leader: Christopher. Statement of the Problem. How does the use of pesticides destroy the ecosystem?. The Extent of Pesticide Use. Approximately 1.8 billion people use pesticides worldwide. Over 1 billion pounds are used in the United States.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Members: Audrey, Austin, Eric
How does the use of pesticides destroy the ecosystem?
- People do not enjoy having bugs in their plants, wish to exterminate them
- Can't learn to get along
- By using pesticides we destroy ecosystems
- cause air pollution by spreading through wind
- cause water pollution; contaminate water; harm aquatic animals
- decrease biodiversity of soil
- intoxicate humans
- reduce food production; create higher production costs
- toxins can kill humans, cause disease
- affect adults, children
- enter human body through digestion, inhalation
Agricultural Use of Pesticides in the U.S.
Increase in the Use of Pesticides
- Use pesticides only when necessary.
- Spray pesticides directly onto the problem.
- Contain the pesticides within a closed area.
PDF American Institute of Biological Sciences
Global Healing Center
Audrey: 1) Why do we continue to use pesticides?
2) What will happen if we stop using pesticides?
Christopher: 1) What alternative to pesticide use is there that does not harm the environment?
2) What are the long term affects of pesticides?
Eric: 1) How many pounds of pesticide are being used in the US?
2) Approximately how many pounds of pesticide was used worldwide?
Austin: 1) How many people in the world are using pesticides?
2) Other than killing pests, are there any other benefits to using pesticides?