EMTALA. Grove City Medical Center Julie Ryhal RN, BSN, MEd. What Is It??. EMTALA - The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.
Grove City Medical Center
Julie Ryhal RN, BSN, MEd
EMTALA -The Emergency Medical Treatment
and Active Labor Act.
It’s not a federal malpractice law but rather a federal anti-discrimination law to protect people who cannot afford emergency services.
1. Provide a medical screening examination by a qualified healthcare provider for each person presenting to the emergency department.
2. Provide stabilization and make medically appropriate transfers.
3. Transfer patients only for care that we can not provide here or per the patient’s request.
4. Obtain and document acceptance from the receiving facility.
5. Document sufficient information to substantiate the appropriate nature of the transfer.
YES – if…..
unstable but may be transferred if there is a
distinct medical benefit to the transfer. She
should be examined by a physician before
she is discharged or transferred.