US Embassy Tel Aviv Student Visa Program - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

us embassy tel aviv student visa program n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
US Embassy Tel Aviv Student Visa Program PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
US Embassy Tel Aviv Student Visa Program

play fullscreen
1 / 19
US Embassy Tel Aviv Student Visa Program
Download Presentation
Download Presentation

US Embassy Tel Aviv Student Visa Program

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. US Embassy Tel Aviv Student Visa Program Weizmann Institute Belfer Auditorium October 5, 2010

  2. Student and Exchange Visitors Visa Program • Exchange Visitor: J Visa • Student Visitor: F Visa • Applying for a visa: before, during and after the Interview • Travel to and status in the United States • Additional Questions

  3. Exchange Visitor Visa: Quick Facts • Exchange visitors must apply for (J) visas • J-1 applicants receive Form DS-2019 and complete DS-160. • US law requires that J-1 visa interviews be conducted in English.

  4. Student Visa: Quick Facts • Degree seeking students must apply for visitor (F) nonimmigrant visa • F-1 applicants receive Form I-20 and complete DS-160. • US law requires that F-1 visa interviews be conducted in English.

  5. Before the Interview • Gain acceptance to a SEVP certified school or exchange visitor program • The educational institution will submit your information to DHS to create a SEVIS generated 1-20 (for students) or DS-2019 (for exchange visitors)

  6. What is SEVIS? • Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) helps the US government keep track of international students and exchange visitors. • A specific number will be assigned to you and printed on your visa, beginning with N000.

  7. Be Prepared • Apply early to give ample time for visa processing • Do not finalize travel plans or purchase nonrefundable tickets until the visa has been issued

  8. For the Interview • Fill out the DS-160 electronically and print confirmation page.   • 5 cm x 5 cm color photograph • Machine Readable Visa (MRV) green receipt. • Original DS 2019 (for Exchange Visitors) or I-20 (for Students).

  9. For the Interview Cont. • Previous passports with US visas • Evidence of financial means: statement from your bank, proof of scholarship, etc. • If you have a scientific or technical background, bring copy of CV and letters of invitation from the sponsoring institution

  10. Arrival and Departure • Participants must arrive within 30 days of the beginning of the program. • Participants will be able to stay for the duration of the program. • J-1 have 30 days to depart the US. • F-1 have 60 days to depart the US or transfer to another school.

  11. Staying in Status • If you depart the US with an expired visa, you will need to obtain a new one before returning • It is important that you depart the US on or before the last day authorized by DHS • Violating US immigration laws may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future

  12. Accompanying Family Members • Spouses and children may apply for "derivative" visas (J-2/F-2) • J-2 visa holders may study but may not work unless they have permission from USCIS • F-2 visa holders may study but may not work in the US.

  13. Spouse Employment • Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization • Include copy of J-1 (principal alien’s) Certificate of Eligibility (Form IAP-66) • Filing fee ($340) and two passport photos • May be filed electronically – see USCIS website for more details

  14. Required Documents for Departure • Passport with valid visa. • DS-2019 or I-20 in sealed envelope attached to your passport • Customs and Border Patrol officers will open the envelope when you arrive in the US. • Phone number of the point of contact at your program.

  15. 2 Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement • Exchange Visitor Program participants with the Fulbright Program will be subject to the two-year home-country physical presence requirement.

  16. How Do I Open a Business in the US? • The Treaty Trader (E-1) or Treaty Investor (E-2) visa • For aliens coming to the US to carry on substantial trade in services or technology or to develop and direct operations of an enterprise • DS-160 and DS-156E

  17. How Do I Apply for a Green Card? • To apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer, and be the beneficiary of an approved petition.

  18. What if we are European Citizens? • Citizens of Visa Waiver countries may travel without visas by filing ESTA applications • The purpose of stay in the United States must tourism or business for a maximum of 90 days

  19. Questions?