CA Department of Education Russell Weikle, Administrator December, 2008 - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

tokala
ca department of education russell weikle administrator december 2008 n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
CA Department of Education Russell Weikle, Administrator December, 2008 PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
CA Department of Education Russell Weikle, Administrator December, 2008

play fullscreen
1 / 33
Download Presentation
CA Department of Education Russell Weikle, Administrator December, 2008
83 Views
Download Presentation

CA Department of Education Russell Weikle, Administrator December, 2008

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Career Technical Education in California’s K-Adult System CA Department of Education Russell Weikle, AdministratorDecember, 2008

  2. Objectives • Perkins Act of 2006 • Status of CTE • Delivery System • Perkins State CTE Plan • CTE Standards and Framework • CA-CTE Funding • AB 2648-Chaptered • CA-CDE Perkins Unit

  3. Carl D. Perkins • Total Funding = $140.8 million • Basic Grant = $129.5 million • Tech Prep = $11.2 million • 85% of the basic grant is allocated to local secondary and postsecondary education agencies by formula • Approximately 45% to secondary, 55% to postsecondary (Community Colleges, ROCP, and Adult Education) • California receives nearly twice as much as the next biggest state • 35 states get less in their entire grant than California receives for administration

  4. Carl D. Perkins • Administration 5% - fully matched • Leadership - Staff - CTE Subject Area and Sector Development - Strategic priorities • Tech Prep - 69% to Tech Prep Consortia - Chancellor - 31% to Tech Prep Priorities – CDE • Funding by Reimbursement - Quarterly Invoicing • State Institutions - Corrections, youth and adults - State Special Schools • Contract - Interagency Agreement, transfers money to the chancellor’s Office

  5. Current Status of CTE • One million secondary students enrolled annually • 226,575 adult students enrolled in ROCP and Adult Education CTE courses • Enrollments in secondary CTE courses declined 25% from 1993-94 to 2005-06 • Enrollments in ROCP and AME increased by at least 35,000 students from 2000-2001 • Total 5% enrollment decline from 2002-03 to 2005-06 • Highest enrollment areas include: Business and Administrative Services, Information Technology, Health, and Arts, Media & Entertainment • A-G approved CTE courses = 5,614

  6. Perkins State Plan • State Board of Ed is Governing Body • Joint Advisory Committee – State Law • Independent Needs Assessment – West Ed • Perkins Resource Group – Stakeholders • Legislature asked that this be a plan for all of CTE • Public Hearings – August/September 07 • Boards Review January 08 • Boards approve March 08

  7. Perkins State Plan • Legislature asked that this be a plan for all of CTE • 5 Chapters - System structure and enrollment - Economic, education, and policy contexts - Eleven identified elements for improvement of the CTE system - Answers to USDOE Guide - Operations and Administration • Plan Features: - Plan for the overall CTE System - Funding follows the students - Tech Prep extended 1 year, strengthened - Tiered accountability focusing on the lowest performing agencies and schools

  8. State Commitment • State Plan Implementation • New Unit - 7 CTE Consultants, Staff Services Manager, Technical Specialist, 9 Support Staff Members • California County Superintendents Educational Services Association-11 CCSESA Regions

  9. 11 CCSESA Regions http://www.ccsesa.org/index/regionMap.cfm 11 Regions=58 Counties

  10. R. Mary Gallet, Ph.D. • CCSESA Regions:4 & 6 Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Solano, Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tuolumne • Special Populations • Nontraditional Fields • Consolidated Programs Monitoring

  11. Barbara Weiss • CCSESA Regions 1, 8 & 10 Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino, Sonoma, Kern, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Inyo, Mono, Riverside, San Bernardino • Perkins Application Process • Perkins Plan Process

  12. Eric Dyer • CCSESA Regions 5 & 7 Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Fresno, Kings Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Tulare • Perkins Equipment Handbook • Programs of Study

  13. Geoff Belleau • CCSESA 2 & 9 Butte, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity, Imperial, Orange, San Diego • Perkins Handbook • Perkins Data • CAR Report

  14. Lee Murdock • CCSESA Region 3 & 11 Alpine, Colusa, El Dorado, Placer, Nevada, Sacramento, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, Yuba, Los Angeles • Federal CAR Report for K-14 • CA State Plan

  15. Chuck Parker • CCSESA Regions 1-11 • Secondary Tech Prep Programs • CTE report to Legislature on AB 2468 - Dec 1, 2009

  16. Hilary Steinmetz Perkins programs at - • County Offices of Education • State Special Schools • Perkins Fiscal Process

  17. Samuel Lee & Eva Schrepel Perkins Data System • Reporting Perkins on E1 • Reporting Perkins on E2

  18. Vision CTE will engage every student in high-quality, rigorous, and relevant educational pathways and programs, developed in partnership with business and industry, promoting creativity, innovation, leadership, community service, and lifelong learning, and allowing students to turn their “passions into paychecks” — their dreams into careers.

  19. Mission The mission of CTE is to provide industry-linked programs and services that enable all individuals to reach their career goals in order to achieve economic self-sufficiency, compete in the global marketplace, and contribute to California’s economic prosperity.

  20. Eleven CTE System Elements

  21. Agriculture & Natural Resources Arts, Media & Entertainment Building Trades & Construction Education, Child Development, & Family Services Energy & Utilities Engineering & Design Fashion & Interior Design Finance & Business Health Science & Medical Technology Hospitality, Tourism, & Recreation Information Technology Manufacturing & Product Development Marketing, Sales, & Service Public Services Transportation The 15 Industry Sectors:

  22. CTE Standards Developed for use at secondary level, grades 7 – 12 Organized in 15 Industry Sectors 58Pathways

  23. CTE Framework • Approved by SBE January 2007 • Guides implementation of CTE programs, curriculum, instruction and assessment • Organized in two sections: Part A - A narrative description and related tools covering how to implement the Standards Part B – Examples by each sector and pathway illustrating how to apply the tools

  24. CTE & High School Redesign • California’s 290 Partnership Academies • Smaller Learning Communities • Specialized Secondary Programs • Thematic High Schools • Middle College and Early College High School • Charter Schools • Alternative Approaches

  25. CTE Developments • Additional Funding • Counseling - $200 million • CTE Equipment - 80 million • SB 70, CTE system - 20/52 million • CTE Standards and Framework • AB 2448, ROCP system improvements • Higher Ed relationships changing • Multiple Pathways • Business-labor-education coalitions • CTE Distinguished Schools

  26. Policy Directions • Superintendent’s Achievement Gap Initiative • Governor’s CTE Initiative • Drop Outs and Alternative Education • Course Sequencing/Programs of Study • Program Quality Requirements • New Credential Paths • Career Guidance Rediscovered • All Students Engaged in CTE • Student Choice & Customized Learning • Work and Learning Become Companions • Business Role Expanded

  27. Implementation Priorities • Applications conditionally approved, district plans due October 31 - Full approval December • CALPADS student level data base 2009-10 • CalPASS – Tech Prep implementation 2008-10 with all K-Adult districts 2012 • Programs of Study expansion – State Models • Implement Tiered Accountability pilot by 2009-10 • Reconsider funding split 2008-09 • Evaluate Tech Prep 2009-10 • Continuing commitment to Non-Traditional Occupations and CTSOs • Build capacity to evaluate the effect of CTE

  28. Perkins Assignments Geoff Belleau – Regions 2 & 9 gbelleau@cde.ca.gov 916-323-5042 Perkins Handbook; Perkins Data Eric Dyer - Regions 5 & 7 edyer@cde.ca.gov 916-319-0491 Equipment Handbook, Programs of Study

  29. Perkins Assignments R. Mary Gallet – Regions 4 & 6 mgallet@cde.ca.gov 916-445-5723 Special Populations Handbook, Non-traditional Fields & STEM & CPM Lee Murdock – Regions 3 & 11 lmurdock@cde.ca.gov 916-445-5736 CA State Plan

  30. Perkins Assignments Chuck Parker – Regions w/Tech Prep cparker@cde.ca.gov 916-323-2564 Tech Prep Programs Barbara Weiss – Regions 1, 8 &10 bweiss@cde.ca.gov 916-319-0465 Perkins Applications & Plans

  31. Perkins Assignments Hilary Steinmetz hsteinmetz@cde.ca.gov 916-445-5725 County Offices of Education & Court Schools

  32. Thank You Mr. Russell Weikle, PASO AdministratorSecondary, Postsecondary, and Adult Educationrweikle@cde.ca.gov916-324-5706