Unit 4 Green world. 内蒙古赤峰市 孟凡杰. Contents. Warming up and Speaking. Listening. Reading. Language study. Integrating skills. Summing up. Warming up and Speaking. Warming up. Vocabulary about flowers and plants:. flowers:. bud, petals, heart. herbs:.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Unit 4 Green world 内蒙古赤峰市 孟凡杰
Contents Warming up and Speaking Listening Reading Language study Integrating skills Summing up
Warming up Vocabulary about flowers and plants: flowers: bud, petals, heart herbs: flowers, leaves, roots, stem, seed, fruit Parts trees: stem, branches, nuts, bark colours: round, pear-shaped, tall, creeping, climbing Shape and colour saw-edged, toothed, lobed, hairy leaves:
vegetation（草木）, pollen（花粉）, genetics, variety, species Science and geography polar, Alpine, Mediterranean, desert, marine Names of flowers Names of herbs Names of trees Species
Do you know these flowers? To decorate. The Chinese national flower. Peony China A symbol of Holland. Given to people as presents. Turkey, now Holland Tulip
Do you know these flowers? As presents. Different colours represent different feelings. around the world Rose North and South America A symbol of loyal. To produce oil. Sunflowers
Speaking — procedures Situation 1: Growing soybeans 1. Take a pot and clean it well with hot water. Fill the pot with earth of good quality that does not contain too many stones, mixed with some fertilizer. 2. Prepare the seeds by putting them on wet paper towels for a few days, in a warm place out of the sun. Wait till the seeds swell up and a little root has developed.
3. Plant two or three seeds in the pot and cover them with some earth. Give some water. 4. Water the young plants every day, but make sure the earth is not too wet. 5. Once the plants have grown up, place the pot in a sunny corner. Regularly water the plant, especially when it starts developing fruit. Useful expressions: First(ly), second(ly), third(ly), then, after that, at last…
Practise speaking Situation 2: Gardening Situation 3: Taking care of flowers
Have a rest! 下一页 返回
Listening Have similar flowers and fruit with a hard pit: Have the same type of skin and are made up of parts: Tropical fruit: Bananas, Plums, cherries, Oranges, mango, pineapple… peaches… lemons, grapefruits… Look similar and have the same type of skin: Fruit which contains a large pit: Peach, Apples and pears, … apricot, … Dry fruit: Peanuts, nuts, chestnuts, …
Question 3: Why do people need to eat fruit? People need to eat fruit to get the vitamins they need, and because they contain fibre and minerals. Fill in the chart: Fruit Family of roses Family of oranges Other fruits apple pear peach Strawberry orange Lemon banana grape
Exercise 5: 1. What problems did farmers in old England and sailors in the eighteenth century have in common? They had health problems because they did not eat enough greens, e.g. fresh fruit and vegetables. 2. How did Captain Cook try to improve the health of the sailors? He told them to wash their clothes and clean the ship; he told them to take exercise; and he tried to improve their diet. 3. Why didn’t ships carry fresh fruit and vegetables on board? They could not keep them on such long voyages.
Have a rest! 下一页 返回
Pre-reading coffee beans to make coffee subtropical regions Africa China, Japan, India, Sri Lanka to make tea China tea a spice to make food tasty Chili peppers Latin America tropical countries to make rope Central Asia all countries hemp
Fast reading Questions: 1. How many scientists are mentioned in the passage? And what is the relationship between them? Carl Linnaeus Daniel Solander Joseph Banks Captain Cook
Karl Linnaeus the founder of botanical classification Daniel Solander A student of Karl Joseph Banks A friend of Daniel Daniel and Joseph developed the theory of Karl Linnaeus Both Daniel and Joseph joined the expedition to Oceania led by Captain James Cook James Cook
Fast reading Questions: 2. Why was Carl Linnaeus important to the history of botany as a science? Because Carl Linnaeus developed a system to classify plants for scientific purpose.
Careful reading Analysis of the text: The classification of plant species and Linnaeus’ system. Part1.(1-2) What Joseph Banks did to the development of botany. Part2.(3-7)
ReadPara.1-2and answer questions: • How did scientists classify plants before Linnaeus? Before Linnaeus, plants were classified as either herbs or trees, or according to the shape of the fruit or whether they had flowers or not.
ReadPara.1-2and answer questions: 2.What is the difference between Linnaeus’ system and that of the other scientists? In Linnaeus’ system, the identification of different species was based on the arrangement of the male and female organs in the flowers, while the other scientists classified plants into herbs and trees, according to the shape of the fruit, or whether they had flowers or not.
ReadPara.1-2and answer questions: 3. Why was Carl Linnaeus important to the history of botany as a science? His system of grouping plants in families was unique, which based on the arrangement of the male and female organs in the flowers.
ReadPara.1-2and answer questions: 4.Who promoted Linnaeus’ theory? Daniel Solander and Joseph Banks.
ReadPara.3-7and answer questions: • What were the goals of James Cook’s first voyage around the world? There are three. First it was to study the passing of the planet Venus. Second was to record and classify all plant and animal life Third was to search for unknown southern land.
ReadPara.3-7and answer questions: 2.Why did Banks have to supply his own money to equip part of the expedition? Because the government would not pay for all the equipment and expenses.
ReadPara.3-7and answer questions: 3.What did Joseph Banks do on the three-year voyage? On their three-year voyage, Joseph Banks did not only study and describe new plants he found, he also looked out for new economic species and became the first to move crops from one continent to another on a large scale.
ReadPara.3-7and answer questions: 4.What could be a possible explanation for the name “strawberry”? Maybe strawberries are called strawberries because in old times farmers spread straw under the fruit to reduce the necessary amount of watering.
Choose the best answer 1. In the sixteenth century, botany was a branch of_______. A. biology B. physics C. astronomy D. medicine
2. Which of the following sentences is true? A. Linnaeus’ contribution to science was quite small. B. All of Linnaeus’ idea were completely new. C. Before Linnaeus there was no system to classify plants. D. Linnaeus’ system was simple and clear.
3. Joseph chose a career in science because__________. A. he thought that was a good way of making a living B. he was interested in botany C. his father died when he was 18 years old D. he was very wealthy
4. The members of the Royal Society aboard the Endeavour included ____. A. Joseph Banks and James Gook B. Carl Linnaeus and Joseph Banks C. James Gook and Daniel Solande D. Daniel Solander and Joseph Banks
5. Joseph Banks' interests lay in ____. A. astronomy and botany B. botany and medicine C. agriculture and botany D. geography and economy Let’s listen to the text!
Language points 1. classify (vt.) =arrange in classes or groups 将...分类;将...分等级 (+into) e.g. People who work in libraries spend a lot of time classifying books.在图书馆工作的人花大量的时间为书籍分类。 学校的孩子们按年级分班。 Children in school are classified into grades.
2. promote (vt.) 1) = to help the process of… 促进 e.g. The organization works to promote friendship between nations.该组织旨在促进各国之间的友谊。 2) =to publicize sth in order to sell it 促销 e.g. Your job is to promote the new product. 你的工作是促销这一产品。 3) = to raise sb. to a higher position 提升 + sb. (to sth.)
e.g. Our teacher has been promoted to headmaster. 3. appetite(n.) 1) 食欲,胃口 e.g. Exercise gave her a good (poor) appetite.运动使她胃口大增。 2) 欲望,爱好 短语：have an appetite for … e.g. I have a great appetite for classical music.我非常爱好古典音乐。
4. appoint (vt.) 1) 任命 (+sb. as/to be ) e.g. They appointed him as (to be) manager. 他任命他为经理。 2) 约定（时间、地点等） e.g. Our visitors arrived at the appointed time.我们的来宾在约定的时间到达了。
5. As astronomy was one of the most important branches of science, it was the British government that paid for all the equipment and expenses for that part of the expedition. (in Para.5) 注：as引导原因状语从句，意为“因为，既然” e.g. As all the seats were full, we had to stand up. We started off on foot, as David had an appetite for walking.
6. Banks was the first to move crops from one continent to another on a large scale, helping to develop local economies with new imports. (in Para.6) 1) on a large scale 大规模地 e.g. Some countries are preparing for war on a large scale. 2) helping to develop local economies with new imports为分词短语作状语，表示结果。 e.g. Her husband died, leaving her with four children.
Post-reading I. T or F: • The British government paid for all the equipment and expenses for the expedition.( ) • Captain Cook received secret instructions to study the passing of the planet Venus across the sun. ( ) F F 3. Joseph Banks created the royal gardens at Kew and developed it into one of the greatest botanical gardens in the world.( ) F
4. Before Linnaeus someone had attempted to classify plant species into groups.( ) 5. Banks made a living by making a voyage.( ) T F Ⅱ. Put into English or Chinese: 1.医学的一个分支 __________________ a branch of medicine 2. make attempts to do _____________ 试图做某事 3.classify plant species into groups ______________ 按植物种类分类
4. promote the new system ________________ 进一步发展这个系统 5.devolop a lifelong friendship with sb. _________________ 与某人结成终生好友 6.lead a cosy life ______________ 过着舒适的生活 7.have an appetite for knowledge _________ 酷爱知识 8.make a career in science ______________________ 在科学领域创造自己的事业
9. make a first journey to study wild plants __________________________ 首次踏上了研究野生植物的征程 10. appoint sb. as __________ 任命某人为 11. give instructions to sb. ___________ 给某人下指示 12. on a large scale _________ 大规模地
Have a rest! 下一页 返回
Grammar Ⅰ. 可充当宾语的有: 1. 名词(短语) e.g. The authority praised Yao Ming at the meeting. 2. 代词 e.g. Can you tell the good apples from the bad ones ?
3. 数词 e.g. The old man devoted $5000 to the coastal victims. 4. 动名词 e.g. He regretted losing his temper at the meeting. 5. 不定式 e.g. He wished to get the job. 6. 从句 e.g. I really don’t know what I should do. 特点: (及物)动词和介词后可接宾语
Ⅱ. 形式宾语 在句子中it可作形式宾语，而把真正的宾语（不定式短语或宾语从句）置于宾补之后，以避免头重脚轻。 e.g. I don’t think it possible to master a foreign language without much memory work. He thought it a pity that he missed the film. Ⅲ. 宾语从句的几点注意事项 1. 介词的宾语从句不可用which或if来引导，而要用what, whatever, whether等疑问词来引导。 e.g. He was worried about whether he passed the English examination.