Rocks and Minerals. Science 2201. Grains of sand…. Many ongoing processes constantly change the surface of the globe. Our Earth is cyclic and restless. In other words, ---everything on the earth operates in cycles ---the surface of the earth is constantly changing. Geology.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Our Earth is cyclic and restless.In other words, ---everything on the earth operates in cycles---the surface of the earth is constantly changing
ü Each type of rock records a different complex past.
ü Each type of rock can be changed from one form to another and back again.
geologists call these transformations the “rock cycle”
· minerals are the building blocks of rocks
· differ in composition and properties
See Minerals link on Pacing Guide
· formed by cooling & crystallization
· means “formed by fire”
· make up about 95% of the earth’s crust
· basalt (ocean floor) and granite (continents) are common examples
· formed from the weathered material carried by water, wind, or ice
· most common rocks in the upper crust
· cover over 2/3 of the earth’s surface
· sandstone, shale, and limestone