slide1 n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
WATER PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
WATER

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 57

WATER - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 167 Views
  • Uploaded on

WATER. You’ve heard the saying that the Earth is mostly water. But what percent of Earth is water? . Salt water oceans make up 71% of the Earth’s surface, which the other 29% made up of the Earth’s continents and islands. . 29% land. 71% water.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'WATER' - tawana


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
slide2

You’ve heard the saying that the Earth is mostly water. But what percent of Earth is water?

Salt water oceans make up 71% of the Earth’s surface, which the other 29% made up of the Earth’s continents and islands.

slide3

29% land

71% water

slide4

There are five major oceans: the Atlantic, the Pacific (the largest), the Indian, the Arctic and the Southern Ocean.

slide6

What is the difference between an ocean and a sea?

Seas are smaller than oceans and are usually located where the land and ocean meet.

slide10

The blue whale, the largest animal on our planet ever (exceeding the size of the greatest dinosaurs) still lives in the ocean; it's heart is the size of a Volkswagen

slide12

Biggest Fish

Whale Shark

The whale shark is a the biggest shark and the biggest fish. It is NOT a whale. This enormous shark is a filter feeder and sieves enormous amounts of plankton to eat through its gills as it swims.

slide14

How_much_

plankton_does_a_whale

_shark_eat_per_

day?

5 BILLION!

slide15

The swordfish and marlin are the fastest fish in the ocean reaching speeds up to 75 mph in quick bursts

slide16

The bluefin tuna may reach sustained speeds up to 56 mph.

The average length of a bluefin tuna is 6.5 feet and 550 pounds. In January 2001, a prime, 444-lb bluefin tuna sold in a Japanese fish market for $173,600, a world record.

oarfish the world s longest fish
Oarfish - The World's Longest Fish
  • Oarfish are the longest of all fish with at least one reported to be 56 ft. It is thought that some of the old sailors’ tales of sea serpents or sea monsters stem from sightings of the oarfish. They are rarely seen since they usually live at profound depths in the ocean at 660 ft, but occasionally they will wash up on the sea shore or are forced up to the surface after violent storms.
  • Oarfish have long, slim, usually shiny silver bodies, with bright crimson fins, often with a large red plume on the head, and other long fins. The tail fin is not very long but has long rays covered in spines. Another interesting trait is that they hold themselves straight up and down in the water. They are not known to be of any commercial value, and the meat is reported to be inedible.
slide22

Did you know...?

Sharks attack some 50-75 people each year worldwide, with perhaps 8-12 fatalities, according to data compiled in the International Shark Attack File. Although shark attacks get a lot of attention, this is far less than the number of people killed each year by elephants, bees, crocodiles, lightning or many other natural dangers. On the other side of the ledger, we kill somewhere between 20-100 million sharks every year through fishing activities.

octopus fun facts
Octopus Fun Facts

Basic facts

  • It has a soft body with a well developed brain. They are very intelligent.
  • It has eyes on each side of its head. They are completely deaf.
  • It communicates by changing color, (when it is scared it turns white.)
  • The prefix octo means eight. An octopus has eight arms called tentacles.
  • Each tentacle has 240 suction cups to grasp its prey. That's 1,920 total suction cups!
  • It releases ink to distract enemies while it swims away.
  • If arm is cut off it can regenerate it.

Eating habits

  • The octopus eats shellfish such as crabs.
  • The octopus poisons its prey to paralyze it.
  • It mainly hunts at night.

Babies

  • The female octopus lays up to 150,000 eggs in two weeks..

Now let’s watch an octopus and other sea animals in action: Underwater Astonishments

slide26

OLDEST sea animal: Turtles are reptiles and records show their existence during the days of the dinosaurs 200 million years ago. Most are nomads and travel about 1,300 miles a day!

slide27

Fishing is considered to be the most dangerous job in the world. Fishermen risk the highest percentage of death and injury—more than even firefighters or policemen.

americans love to eat seafood
Americans LOVE to eat seafood!

Alaska Salmon

Our favorites include: trout, halibut, tuna &

Shrimp

Crab Legs

Lobster

slide31

DIVE INTO READING

Your rewards for diving into reading and making your goals are:

slide36
First, you will get to choose a gift from the sea….a sand dollar or a starfish, while the selections last….then…….
slide41

You get to choose a duck….your choices are: surfing, beach, luau or hula dancer….again, while choices last!

slide45

Last, but not least, you get to choose between a tropical ruler bookmarker or a flip flop ruler bookmarker, while choices last!

slide47

AR STORES

We will have only 2 AR stores, one at the end of each semester. Points will accumulate for only that semester.

slide48

Each Monday winners will be announced over intercom.

  • Those students come to the library and choose a small treat.
  • Homeroom teacher chooses this person.

WEEKLY TOP READER

10 000 point celebration principal challenge

10,000 point celebration=Principal Challenge!

Mrs. Collins is going to wear a wet suit all day!

slide55

Remember to utilize “Home Connect”- you and your parents can check at home how close you are to making your goal, look to see what your test grades are, and see what tests you have already taken…CHECK IT OUT!Home Connecthttps://Hosted75.renlearn.com/84388/HomeConnect

slide56

How do you check your goal status at school and what is the quickest way to take an AR test?

Log In Screen to Renaissance Place:

Take a Quiz

View Reports

View Quizzes Taken

View Goals and Points

slide57

Dive

Into

Reading

2011