Intonation Patterns in Child-Directed Speech: Mother-Father Differences. Amye Warren- Leubecker John Neil Bohannon III. Stephanie Faigen Abigail Kaeser Shannon Martin Jessica Samsel Ashley Sigona. summary.
1. There was a very small sample size for this study…is this a problem?
2. Do the findings of this study ring true with your experience? Give examples when possible.
3. Do dads “overdo it” for little babies? “Under-do it” for older children? I.e., is it necessary for parents to do as much as they do for little babies? Do older children who don’t get as much CDS from Dad “miss out?”
4. Do Moms “overdo it” for older kids?
5. What role does society/culture play in creating differences between Mom’s and Dad’s CDS?
6. This study did not include a wide variety of cultures…what differences might you expect among parents of different cultures?
7. This study didn’t include a wide variety of ages…do you think speech to an infant might be different than speech to a toddler?
8. Do you think parents of different ages might vary in how much (how little) they use CDS?
9. Do you think parents with different experiences in their own background (their own childhood) might vary in their use of CDS?
10. What role might the number of children that the parents have play in how much (or how little) they use CDS?