Chapter 2: ROAST MUTTON. Describe what Bilbo is feeling at the beginning of Chapter 2. * Party wasn’t a bad dream – really happened. * Thought had left w/o him – relieved but irritated because they didn’t say good-bye. * Feels trifly disappointed. 2. What does Gandalf tell Bilbo?.
Describe what Bilbo is feeling at the beginning of Chapter 2.
* Party wasn’t a bad dream – really happened
* Thought had left w/o him – relieved but irritated because they didn’t say good-bye
* Feels trifly disappointed
2. What does Gandalf tell Bilbo?
They left w/o him – but left him a message
3. What does the message say?
* Will pay him 1/14 of profits
* Travel expenses guaranteed
* Funeral expenses their responsibility (if necessary)
* Gone ahead to make requisite preparations
* Waiting for him at Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, at 11 am sharp
* Pass through hobbit-lands – wild respectable country of decent folk – good roads, inn or 2
* Lands where ppl. spoke strangely & sang unfamiliar songs
* Lone-lands: no ppl. left – no inns – roads grew steadily worse – dreary hills dark w/ trees – everything seemed gloomy
AMBLING: go at slow easy pace; strolling
WANING: to decrease in strength
5. Where do they camp for the night?
Among Misty Mts.
DRATTING: confounding; condemning
6. What do they see in the distance & decide to move towards?
Red light over trees
7. What do they tell Bilbo?
It’s his/burglar’s turn – go & find out
about light – if it’s safe – if can’t get back
to hoot like barn-owl (twice) or screech-owl (once) & they’ll do what they can
CAVALCADE: process of riding on horse
PURLOINED: stole; be dishonest
8. What does Bilbo finally get up the nerve to do?
Pick one of troll’s pockets
Gets caught by troll - William
10. What does Bilbo say he is? Why?
Burrahobbit – started to say burglar but Trolls too dumb to catch on
11. What do the trolls wonder about Bilbo?
* If they can eat him
* If there are more like him to make pie w/
12. What does Bilbo try to convince the trolls about himself?
* Only one of his kind
* Is a better cook than being cooked
LOUT: awkward, stupid person
13. How does Bilbo get away?
William & Bert start a fight & drop Bilbo
Trolls find & capture Balin
15. What followed?
Trolls captured Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur
16. What do they decide to do with the dwarves?
Mince them fine & boil them
17. What happens to that decision?
Causes another fight – have no water & no one wants to get any
18. What happens to Bert, Tom & William? Why?
* Go back to what they are made of
* Weren’t underground before dawn
19. What had caused the trolls to fight?
SCABBARDS: sheath of a sword
20. What do the dwarves decide to do after destroying the trolls?
Find their hole & look for treasures
21. What did Bilbo have that Gandalf “needed”?
Key to trolls’ door
22. What do they take from the trolls’ hole?
Pots of coins – food – ale