CHAPTER 20 Human Impacts on the Environment. Outline: I. Introduced species II. Human impacts III. The biodiversity crisis IV. Conservation biology V. The goal of sustainable development. About 12% of all known bird species are endangered.
I. Introduced species
II. Human impacts
III. The biodiversity crisis
IV. Conservation biology
V. The goal of sustainable development
Purposefully introduced invasive species have cost the US economy $130 billion
What is the number of introduced species in the US?
Can you name some species native to the US?
Burning fossil fuel
Remember the film?
How do changes in number of producers and consumers influence production and uptake of global CO2?
How do different types of industry influence global CO2?
1. the diversity of ecosystems
2. the variety of species that makeup communities
3. the genetic variation within each species
...full of biodiversity!
Chinese river dolphin
Human alteration of habitat
Lake Victoria, East Africa
Do you like bluefin tuna?
Do you eat sushi?
Drugs from plants!
A science that seeks to counter the loss of biodiversity
Do you understand why its important to preserve biodiversity in CA?
Consequence: severe habitat degradation
Northern spotted owl
Heavily logged rain forest in Malaysia
Be more energy efficient
Promote research and education
…more on Table 20.1
the human desire to affiliate with other life in its many forms, is innate
Do you have pets?
Near Walden pond
passion for nature
1. Severe population _________ is one of the most severe consequences of habitat degradation.
2. Carbon dioxide traps heat and warms the atmosphere, a process called the _________ effect.
3. It is hard to protect species such as the monarch butterfly, sea turtles, and many songbirds, because they _________.
5. Fertilizer runoff can result in the _________ of lakes.
6. The goal of _________ development is to ensure that each generation inherits adequate resources and a stable environment.
7. Most biodiversity hot spots are in the _________.
8. Biological _________ of pesticides harms animals at the top of the food chain.
10. Human alteration of _________ is the greatest threat to biodiversity.
14. The Earth is facing a serious _________ crisis.
18. The _________ is a law that protects endangered and threatened species.
20. In the US, 25% of prescriptions contain substances derived from _________.
22. Burning of _________ fuels produces carbon dioxide that may contribute to global warming.
Next week, 12/4/07 & 12/6/07
The Evolution of Animals