Neurological Conditions . Head Start Health Institute May 22, 2013 Bobbie Rose RN California Childcare Health Program. Topics . Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder(ADHD) Seizure Disorders. 10 Facts about Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Head Start Health Institute
May 22, 2013
Bobbie Rose RN
California Childcare Health Program
6. ASD can be reliably diagnosed by age 2, but many children can be diagnosed at earlier ages.
7. Early identification of ASD helps children get the services they need.
8. There is no “cure” for ASD, but there are several interventions that can help children learn important skills that improve everyday life.
9. Typically, the earlier children are diagnosed and receive services, the better their outcomes are.
10. Children with ASD can learn and succeed in the classroom and beyond, with the help of their families, providers, doctors, specialists, and communities.
6. 30 to 50 percent of those diagnosed in childhood continue to have symptoms into adulthood.
7. ADHD is diagnosed two to four times more frequently in boys than in girls.
8. Management consists of behavior management, counseling and lifestyle changes and sometimes medication.
9. According to a recent parent survey, about two-thirds of the children diagnosed with ADHD were treated with stimulant medications.
10. Teens and college students are know to misuse ADHD medications to increase their ability to concentrate and to improve attention, memory and learning.