North American Division Prison Ministries Workshop. Dr. Cleveland Houser, Presenter Consultant and Prison Ministries Trainer, NAD. Prison Subcultures. Can These Bones Live?.
Dr. Cleveland Houser, Presenter
Consultant and Prison Ministries Trainer, NAD
as the lowest of the lowest by social standards; seeing such an abysmal pronouncement imposed upon this segment of society, the clarion call of Ezekiel becomes increasingly imminent. ‘Son of Man, Can These B ones Live.”
Ezekiel 37: 1-4
many in the open valley, and lo they were very dry. And he said unto me. Son of Man can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord God, thou knowest. Again He said unto me. Prophesy upon these bones, Hear the word of the Lord.”
This valley of dry bones that propelled Ezekiel to ask such an explosive question, “ Son of Man, Can these bones live?” is a prevalent question that we can ask the Department of Correction Facilities
around the world. Prisons are made up of subcultures of dry bones that need to be revitalized by the power of God.
♦Every prison has its own personality.
♦The strength of its subculture depends on the peculiarity of its personality.
♦Prison subcultures make up the components of the prison world.
► Code of Ethics
► Con Games
► Loan Sharks
► Gang Rape
● Drugs and drug dealers selling and supplying the prison population with illegal drugs.
● Drugs in its purest forms are brought into prisons for inmates by employees, visitors and in packages in the mail.
● There is no facility within the Department of Corrections, anywhere in the world that is immune from drug trafficking.
● Inmates have access to any drug that can be purchased in the community, inside our jails and prisons.
● In mates can attain any brand of alcohol including prison made alcohol.
● The Wardens of prisons would rather see inmates high from drug abuse than alcohol abuse.
▪ Phone junkies
1. Wearing one particular color of clothing excessively
2. Wearing sagging pants
3.Wearing jewelry with distinctive designs only on the right or left hand of the body
4.Drawing gang symbols or using gang handwriting
5. Using hand signs to communicate
6. Uses gang language
7. Defies authority
8. Uses drugs and alcohol
9. Exhibits behavioral and performance problems
10. Possess large quantities of unexplained cash
11. Using drugs and alcohol
12. Possessing unexplained cash or goods
13. Showing signs of physical injury and lying about event surrounding the injury
14. Hanging around friends who also exhibit these signs