What is a Disciple? Disciple means student. He is the one who has decided that following Christ takes priority over everything else in life.
Jesus Calls His First Disciples ‘’18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him. 21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.’’ matthew10,2-4
1)Jesus asked four men to join him. These men were two sets of brothers. What were the men doing when Jesus asked them to join him? • The men were fishing.
2) Do you remember the names of the men he called? Jesus called Simon Peter and Andrew who were Brothers then he called James and John who were also brothers.
3) Theywere fishing for actual fish but Jesus said he would make them fishermen of a different kind. Do you remember what word he used? Jesus said he would make them fishers of men.
4) Did they choose to follow Jesus? Yes, they definitely did. They had a choice and they made the right one.
6)What did jesus mean by calling them fisher of men? To search and catch for people, Rather then catch fishs
6) After reading Matthew 10:2-4 can you remember any of the disciples' names? Simon Peter, Andrew, James, John, Phillip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James, Thaddeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot.
What was Jesus looking for in his disciples? Was he looking for: Someone who has : a fancy job, expensive clothes, lots of money, a big house.
When Jesus chose his disciples: He picked up ordinary people. He chose people who could be changed by His love .
"Come and See" Being a disciple means that we are following Jesus, going where He goes, doing what He did,walking as He walks, knowing Him and making Him known.
Jesus gave us 3 characters of what we should look for in a disciple: 1-Obedient to God’s word 2-Loving 3-Fruitfull
1-Obedient to God’s Word “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciple” (John 8:31)
2-Loving • ‘’By this all men will know that you are mydisciples if you have love for one another’’ • (John 13:35) Love is our vertical relationship with God and our horizontal relationship with others,
3) Fruitful “By this my Father is glorified, that you bearmuch fruit and so prove to be my disciple” (John 15:8).
What is bearing fruit? It is becoming like Jesus. Spiritual fruit will show itself in our lives as a change in our character and outlook. As we spend time with Jesus and get to know Him better, His thoughts will become our thoughts. His purpose will become our purpose. We will become like Jesus.
The Bible(Galatians5:22) gives an excellent description of a life characterized by the fruit of the Spirit
’’ And he said to them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’’ Matthew4:19