Digital Production. VJ Skills Interview Techniques Piece to camera Microphone handling. Recap lesson 5. Shooting sequences 3:6:9 rule Zebra/gain/ hypergain Exposure – ND filters White balance. VJ Skills. Need to be a “get up and goer ” Creative Technical A good journalist.
Piece to camera
Need to be
With VJ skills you can –
1) Don’t think of your video as an afterthought. Good video might save a story, but poorly shot wallpaper video will certainly ruin one.
2) Don’t complain about carrying gear. There are hundreds of darn good reporters out there who are carrying resumes right now who would kill to be carrying gear.
3) Don’t forget what it’s like to be a viewer. See each day’s story as if you were watching it from home. Did you get the take home message across? Did you like video? Did it all make sense? Would you want to watch it again? Would you need too?
4) Don’t rush the writing. That’s where real mistakes are made.
5) Don’t use being a one man band as a crutch or an excuse. It’s the wave of the future and a great skill to have.
e.g. graphics, library footage
When pitching –
Explain why it’s important
Explain how you will film it
Explain the logistics
Say what the research shows
Using the above format –
Story (sell it in one to two lines)
Why do it (one to two lines only)
Elements ( sequences, locations, interviews)
Three quarter profile – looks at reporter the whole time
Reporter stands close to the camera in line with front of camera but not over the line