This presentation discusses possible impacts of E-commerce on a local business.
Helen, Mitchel, Jonathan & Kristin
Computer Servers - Computer Servers is the IT system of e-commerce because all of the information from the product to the customer's credit card and other personal information is stored onto that server. Its also the host of the website. If this server is down then people can not participate in online shopping with this website.
Computer servers can be defined as :
Each server has multiple servers within it carrying out different operations, however when it comes to using the web, Web browsers are responsible for most of communication between client and server machines (client-> server type) through web commands.
1. http:// - hypertext transfer protocol used to communicate with web browser
2. www. www.countrycurtains.com - host name
They are readable versions of IP addresses
When reading text and viewing graphics, you are downloading them onto your device. Online shopping is based upon servers (primary IT system), but also highly on "shopping carts", which are Web software that allow you to add and delete products, set up categories, take orders, and sometimes other functions such as allowing you to print packing labels, email shipping information to customers, etc.
These "carts" work through cookies and scripts untill the customer is ready to "check out" (http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/99326.aspx)
Cookies are pieces of text that a web server can store on a user's hard drive. They allow the website to store information on a user's machine and later retrieve it and are stored as name-value pairs.
Cookies store user's information such as credit card numbers or bank account numbers (http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm)
Cookies are often linked to privacy issues and concerns due to the fact that the company or website has access to such sensitive information on request
Online shopping websites are often linked to databases that keep track of the store or business's inventory (in the warehouse). This allows the user to check if the item they wish to purchase is in stock. This would be valid for a smaller or even medium-sized business, since larger retailers often do not have the option to check this.
Security- customers who who participate in e-commerce often have to divulge their credit card information to many companies and their servers. Too much sensitive information being released worries the customers (possible solution for this is encryption and SSL storing credit card numbers in a seperate protected database)
- No barriers between businesses (time, geography ect.)
- Eliminates errors when processing orders, fast, easy and efficient.
- allows for a flourishing market for specialty items (things that are not
found in traditional markets can now have their own businesses)
- Overall provides a cheaper shopping experience for the business and the customers.
- Competition effects everyone equally even small specialty stores
- bad webhosting is also a drawback if your page is not ran and kept properly it may discourage customers from buying your product.
- customers are more ephemeral, may visit the page more then they buy from the page.
- have to be able to handle online orders as well as in store orders managing work becomes more difficult.
e- commerce is a highly recommended tool for your small business. Here are some things that need to be kept in mind:
- Get in contact with warehouse to make sure that they have up to date databases
- Need to get in contact with credit card companies, either to purchase an HTTPS or a digital certificate.
(HTTPS is costly as well as digital certificates, however the certificates are more economical they cost at least $400)
By examining your budget and profits, you should be able to decide whether or not investing in e-commerce will be the right solution for you. Prospective profits should also be kept in mind, however. E-commerce will allow your business to expand it's market.
In order to compete with big brand name chain stores your site will need to be well organized and have significant appeal in order to encourage customers to buy. The team has investigated another website and we evaluated the features that are necessary for your website.
Business investigated: countrycurtains.com
The primary function of the shopping basket is to summarize the customers order. It is important that all the pertinent information is displayed so that they can correct any mistakes.
- an image of the product accompanied by the name
- There are options for quantity size and color.
-The price for one unit, then the price of the total order is given at the end of the row.
-There is also a section where the cost of the entire order is added to the tax.
** special feature to think about is having the cost represent in a menu that is accessible through out the other site in case you need to navigate away from the main order page.
Consumers purchase the product of the company through different payment options. These options consist of using: