Astronomy Without A Telescope Activities For Year 11 Physics. Paul Fitz-Gerald Ivanhoe Girls’ Grammar School STAV Physics Teacher’s Conference Feb. 15th 2008. “Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another” - Plato (428 BC - 348 BC).
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Ivanhoe Girls’ Grammar School
STAV Physics Teacher’s Conference Feb. 15th 2008
“Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another” - Plato (428 BC - 348 BC)
Introductory Question Sheet astronomers.
• explore student’s current understanding of
celestial movement in our solar system.
Sun Shadow Watching With A Simple Sundial astronomers.
• What can be learnt from this activity?
• local midday astronomers.
• geographical North/South line
• local magnetic declination
• local latitude
• Earth’s diameter via Eratosthenes
RMIT Eratosthenes Project 2008 astronomers.
Contact: Dr. Alex Merchant
Solar Scope astronomers.
• watch the movement of a projected
image of the sun
Sidereal Scope astronomers.
• measure the time it takes the Earth to rotate once about its axis.
23 hrs 56 min 36 sec Mill Park Jan. 2008
23 hrs 56 min 27 sec Kinglake Jan. 2008
• choose a bright star near the celestial equator for fastest angular motion.
Star Trail Photos astronomers.
• camera pointed at celestial pole
• use the star trail photo to determine latitude
• length of photographic exposure
• time of shutter opening/closure
• use of R.A. & declination for star positions
Moon Observations astronomers.
• extended period of observations
• geometry of S, M & E
• length of lunar month
• Simple daytime sundial
• Southern Cross time at night
Electronic copies of all documents
Can be found on the DVD.
This includes scans of star
maps, star trails, map of Victoria,
sundial compass rose and articles
from the Physics Teacher.
My contact details: astronomers.
http://web.aanet.com.au/starry astronomers. Ph: 57861382