1. On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 meaning you REALLY DISAGREE and 10 meaning you REALLY AGREE, rank how you feel about the statements below. “Coca Cola is the best soda” 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 REALLY IN BETWEEN REALLY DISAGREE AGREE
Abortion is morally wrong and SHOULD NOT be legal. 1 5 10 REALLY IN BETWEEN REALLY DISAGREE AGREE
The government should raise taxes on the rich to help the poor more. 1 5 10 REALLY IN BETWEEN REALLY DISAGREE AGREE
2. For the 4 questions, what do you notice about where you put yourself on the spectrum? Were you at a 1 or a 10 or somewhere in between for the most part?
POLITICAL SPECTRUM Especially when you consider the millions upon millions with viewpoints… Values Biases Bigotry Where do you stand on the issues? What do you want in and from society? What do you believe? Investigating America Assumptions Faith Viewpoints Is it different from the person setting next to you? Can you both agree??? Now imagine you had the OTHER 250 million+ people sitting next to you… Opinions Beliefs With a nation of diverse citizens with diverse views, how can we ever hope to understand and possibly organize it all???
Although more complicated models exist, the most concrete way to organize citizens’ viewpoints is to generalize their stance on social issues in line graph form- called a political spectrum… The majority of Americans would find themselves in the center of the spectrum, called “Moderates”, when their views on social issues balance their viewpoint. • Those to the “left” of the center are referred to as “Liberals”, generally believing and standing for the following; • Advocate change • Want an active, involved government. • Trust human nature • Value freedom over order • Society should work toward equality • Those to the “right” of the center are referred to as “Conservatives”, generally believing and standing for the following; • Require justification for change • Prefer a limited government, with a narrow scope of programs. • Distrust human nature • Value order over freedom • Individuals should work toward bettering themselves Those on the extreme left with extreme liberal views are classified as “Radicals”, who hold an intense desire for societal change. Example: E.L.F. (Earth Liberation Front) who burn ski lodges and Hummer Dealerships Those on the extreme right with intense conservative views are classified as “Reactionaries”, who hold an intense desire for societal change. Example: Oklahoma City bombers who attack the federal government.
Example 1: Belief About Change defined: Do you think problems are best solved by using a new, different approach or by using an approach that has already been used before?
Belief About Federal Government defined: Do you think that the federal government should have a BIG role in Americans’ lives or a small role in Americans’ lives?
1. Change Review. Who believes in LOTS of change?__________________ b. Who believes in some change? _____________________ c. Who believes in some small change? ________________ d. What kind of change do you believe in? ______________
2. Federal Government Review. Who believes in a huge federal government role?__________ b. Who believes in no federal government role? _____________ c. What kind of federal government control do you believe in?
II. Liberals vs. Conservatives Liberals believe that a BIG federal government is needed to help provide and protect citizens through entitlement programs
3. What are entitlement programs? 4. How does the federal government get money to pay for entitlement programs?
Conservatives believe that a small federal government is needed to provide and protect citizens through basic laws and national defense ONLY
5. Liberal or Conservative? Put L or C below. Large welfare system- Military only- Gov’t controls health care- No welfare- High taxes (especially on rich)- Federal education standards- Low taxes (even for rich)- State education standards-
Where do I fit on the political spectrum? Take the quiz to find out! Circle Agree or Disagree and count them up.
Based on the political spectrum quiz, I am here on the line: RADICAL LIBERAL MODERATE CONSERVATIVE REACTIONARY
6. What are the 2 major political parties in America? 7. What animal represents each party? III. Political Parties =group of elected people and supporters who believe the same things and gather together to get who they like in political power
9. Democrat or Republican? Put R or D below. Liberal- Conservative- “Right-leaning”- “Left-leaning”- Donkey- Elephant- Big federal government- Small federal gov’t- Low taxes- High taxes-
VI. Political Party Platforms and Planks Political parties are united by their common platform and planks Platform=the BIG idea or overall philosophy of the political party Plank=the specific pieces or ideas that support the platform
Democrats and Republicans Planks • Directions: Use the internet to fill in how each political party feels about the issues below. Then, think about who you agree with more on THAT ONE particular issue (Democrat or Republican).
2. On another sheet of paper, choose 1 issue from the table above and complete the following for each. a. Describe your stance on this issue. Who do you agree with more, Democrats or Republicans?b. Give 3 reasons why you believe your stance on that ONE issue.c. Afterwards, EXCHANGE your paper with a partner and read each other’s thoughts.d. Then, write a response to your partner’s writing. Include these 2 things. 1. Do you agree or disagree with what your partner said? 2. Give 2 reasons WHY you agree or disagree with what your partner said.