USMLE Talk. Thomas Cotter. Outline. Overview of required Residency portfolio USMLE Step 1 USMLE Step 2 CK USMLE Step 2 CS US Electives Research Residency Programs Other issues Other options. Overview – Residency steps (Bigger picture).
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
- Does not help NUIG grades (Maybe in MCQ and long case in Final Med only)
- Lessons from UCC
Reasons for failure rate:
- Studying wrong material (not focusing on HIGH YIELD topics) (BRS books, etc . . .wrong approach, need to do Qbank very well)
- Gulf between Galway syllabus and USMLE (naivety??)
- Not giving oneself enough time/lack of motivation (Summer distractions, etc)
- Videos: Kaplan Videos - Internal Medicine (Conrad Fischer - excellent), Surgery (very good), Paediatrics (good), Obs & Gyn(excellent). Psych not great.
- Books: Master the Boards (Fischer) (For IM and Surgery consolidates the Kaplan videos), Step up to Medicine (Excellent book), First Aid Step 2 CK (Paeds, Obs, Psych all useful)
- USMLE World Step 2 CK Qbank - ESSENTIAL
- Ancillary Text: Secrets USMLE Step 2 (helps re-inforce commonly tested concepts, Bed time reading)
Unlike Step 1 there is no perfect book (like First Aid Step 1).
USMLE World Qbank, MTB (for IM & Surgery), First Aid Step 2 CK (Paeds, Obs&Gyn, Psych) are the essentials and you should do well if you cover these thoroughly.
- Before intern yr? very risky in case Residency does not go well (not fully registered with Irish system), won’t be eligible for H1B visa, lack of clinical experience, worst possible position if you want to come back to Ireland
- After intern yr? (good to have a practical yr behind you and NB to be fully registered before you go. Not in as strong a position if decide to return to Ireland, variable success coming back).
- After SHO yrs with membership exams done (ideal time, majority of Irish doctors still only 25/26 at this time, US starting Residency are generally around 26/27, stronger position if you want to return to Ireland)
- STEP SCORES ARE NB, AS IS YOUR CLASS RANKING, HOWEVER, A MEDICAL ELECTIVE AT THE INSTITUTION IS THE SINGLE MOST NB THING IF YOU WISH TO WORK THERE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE REASONABLE STEP SCORES
email@example.com, Cormac O’Brien (firstname.lastname@example.org), Conor Moran (email@example.com)
However, it’s competitive-central (can be cut-throat), intense hours, mediocre salary until consultant level, expensive process to get there and a lot of hard work.