Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). Mi-Jung Choi Dept. of Computer Science KNU Email: [email protected] Table of Contents. SNMP Operations Protocol Specification Transport-Level Support Limitations of SNMPv1. SNMP Operations.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
(a) SNMP message
(b) GetRequest PDU, GetNextRequest PDU, and SetRequest PDU
(c) GetResponse PDU
(d) Trap PDU
. . .
1. The PDU is constructed using ASN.1
2. This PDU is passed to an authentication service with a community name and source & destination transport addresses passed
3. The protocol entity then constructs a message, consisting of a version field, the community name, and the result from step 2
4. This new ASN.1 object is then encoded using BER and passed to the transport service
1. The SNMP entity performs basic syntax-check of the message and discards it if it fails to parse
2. It verifies the version number and discards it if there is a mismatch
3. It then passes the community name, the PDU portion of the message and the source/destination transport address to an authentication service
4. If the PDU passes a basic syntax-check, the appropriate SNMP access policy is selected and the PDU is processed accordingly
Many of these problems are addressed in SNMPv2!