MISPA PROCESS. Meeting of Caribbean Academics and Experts on Public Security: Looking ahead towards MISPA III. May 19-20, 2010. The Origin.
Meeting of Caribbean Academics and Experts on Public Security:Looking ahead towards MISPA III
May 19-20, 2010
MISPA I: Mexico City, Mexico, October 2008
The General Secretariat undertook studies on:
COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC SECURITY IN THE AMERICAS
OAS GENERAL SECRETARIAT’S PLAN OF ACTION
OAS PROJECTS AND ONGOING RESEARCHES
5 main areas:
The OAS General Secretariat has proposed a plan, based on six lines of work and three mechanisms for action to address the areas mentioned in the Political Declaration .
1. Offer guidance and advice for the development of legislative proposals, public policies, and institutional reforms
2. Provide technical support for the construction of reliable and comparable indicators
3. Adopt immediate policies for rehabilitation and social reintegration
4. Improve police training
5. Find ways to include the private sector
6. Strengthen collaboration with the mass media
2. Strengthen coordination between international institutions
IACPV: IADB, PAHO, World Bank UN Habitat, CDC
3. Maintain permanent consultation mechanisms with civil society and the academic world
(PICAP) Inter-American Police Training Program - short training courses to promote horizontal exchange of experiences among police institutions.
Executive Management Program on Public Security
Aspires to train senior police officers and government officials responsible for public security management in an intensive multi-country management course