Four Seasons Scone. Divide the class into four groups and allocate a season (spring, summer, autumn or winter) to each group. They will decide which ingredients will go into their seasonal scone. Prepare equipment and switch on oven: Gas mark 7/220°C .
Divide the class into four groups and allocate a season (spring, summer, autumn or
winter) to each group. They will decide which ingredients will go into their seasonal
Ingredients: 250g self raising flour, 1 x 5ml spoon baking powder, 150ml milk, 50g butter or margarine, 25g grated or crumbled cheese PLUS a choice of 1 or 2 additional seasonal ingredients (see next 4 slides for ideas).
3. Put the flour, baking powder and margarine into a mixing bowl and cut the margarine into small pieces.
4. Rub the fat into the flour using finger tips, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
6. Add the milk a little at a time and stir into the mixture with a round bladed knife. You may not need it all - stop when the dough sticks together. It shouldn’t be sticky!
8. On a lightly floured table, use your hands to shape the dough into a round, 2-3 cms thick.
9. Place the dough into your prepared tin and score into quarters, not quite cutting all the way through.
12. Bake for approximately 20 – 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Then cool on a wire rack.
14. Once all 4 scones are baked, each group divides its scone into the 4 scored
portions, passes 3 of them on to the other groups and keeps one. With this one,
plus the 3 portions they have received, each group can reconstruct one scone made
up of all 4 seasons.