NAVASSA ISLAND WORKSHOP Summary. March 24-25, 2008 Ponce, Puerto Rico. NIW Summary. Scoping Meetings – Will be conducted in partnership with the DOC and the DOI.
March 24-25, 2008
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Scoping Meetings – Will be conducted in partnership with the DOC and the DOI.
Need to prepare a scoping meeting document that will be submitted in 2008; after which the decision has to be made by the Council whether an FMP is warranted for the Island of Navassa. ( This process has to be finished by 2010.) The scoping document (source document) will include, among others:
Coast Guard Enforcement Concerns:
1. Need for enforceable regulations
2. Need for defined area of jurisdiction (EEZ)
3. Need for prosecution of violators, end game.
USGC in conjunction with NOAA Fisheries Enforcement, will endeavor to enforce implemented regulations regarding Navassa Island with the three concerns indicated above.
NMFS enforcement will relay on the USCG platform.
This enforcement will require additional funding, manpower, and equipment.
If an FMP is implemented it must consider TAC and foreign allocation issues.
The developing process for an FMP also must require that the EEZ boundaries be delineated by the appropriate authorities.
- Number of fishers and boats from each community reaching Navassa
- Gather data on the local economy from Jérémie to Les Cayes including data on satellite industries:
-Number of fishers, boat makers/repairers, net makers/repairers, trap maker/repairers, sail makers/repairers
-Gear sellers (hook and line)
-Outboard engine repair
-Other related industries
- Explore possibilities of participatory/cooperative management methodologies
- Gather more information on catch from fishers arriving from Navassa upon return to Haiti (and possibly at Navassa itself)
- At Navassa, tag the fishers with a GPS to track them around the island during their stay in order to determine fishing areas (and possibly types of gear and gear locations).
- Try to find out how much the “big businessmen fishers” in Haiti are taking from Navassa.
- Increase data on other fishing occurring around the island (US, Jamaican, Cuban, Venezuelan, etc.)
- Collect temporal data on boats/fishers at Navassa (satellite imagery…daily preferably, weekly, monthly)
- Continue data collection on local ecology (fish, coral, algae, mammals, reptiles, etc.)