Outline of Technical Cooperation of BRI and NILIM. Shin Koyama Coordinator for International Research Cooperation B uilding R esearch I nstitute Tsukuba, Japan. Content of Presentation. Goals for Research and Development International Cooperation Activities of Technical Cooperation
Coordinator for International Research Cooperation
- Improvement/Expansion of Training Courses
- IISEE net (information net work on inter-net)
Individual Research Exchange
- International Training Courses (through JICA)
- Investigation of Earthquake Disasters and
Cooperation for Rehabilitation Techniques, etc.
=Course on Seismology, Earthquake Engineering & Disaster Mitigation (since1962)
to foster persons to have high capabilities to plan, teach, and extend technologies related to seismic disaster mitigation
11.5 months (Oct.-Sep., every year)
8-months group & 3.5-months individual study
Earthquake Disaster Prevention Strategies
to provide seismological knowledge and technologies for identification and detection of signals originated in nuclear tests in seismic records
1 month & half
Lectures, Practice and Site observation to Distinguish nuclear tests / Outline of CTBT
Global Seismological Observation
Incentive research on the urgent and specific problems of their home countries
Arbitrary (less than 1 year)
Individual study on a special subject
Seismology / Earthquake Engineering
Total Number of Participants is 1,227 from 97 countries (until Jan. 2005)
( Mr. Kolie Niankoye Kekoura Henry, 1997-1998 S, Guinea)
Romania has been receiving damage from earthquakes, such as the 1977 destructive earthquake of M7.5 occurred in the Vrancea district (Total toll 1,578), and working on the reduction of seismic risk through Japanese support.
(1) Project Purpose
(2) Romanian Counterpart
(3) Japanese Counterparts
(Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport)
(4) Project Period
(5) Project Outputs
1. Effective and low-cost retrofit techniques are developed by Center and acquired by structural engineers.
2. Regulations/ codes concerning seismic issues for both new buildings and existing ones are improved by MTCT and Center.
3. Post- earthquake evaluation techniques of the damaged buildings are developed by Center and acquired by structural engineers.
4. Disaster prevention education for the citizens is improved by Center.
Strong Motion Observation
・7 Boreholes in Bucharest (Red)
(Surface, 30m and 80-150m in depth)
・4 Buildings in Bucharest (Yellow)
・6 Free Fields outside of Bucharest
Japanese advanced technologies on earthquake disaster prevention is being transferred through providing equipment and dispatching experts.
Outdoor Soil Tests
・ Boring, Sampling
・ SPT, CPT
・ PS Logging
Indoor Soil Tests
・Tri-Axial Compression Test
strategies (since 2004/2005)
/disaster mitigation policy
/ Seismic Design Code
/ Seismic Network & Activity
/ Seismic Damage