MSI—Mystery Spill. The BIGGER the FAILURE The BETTER the LEARNING. 4th Grade Accelerated Students motivated and inquisitive Time Frame - 2 hours Adapt lesson- 1. no vector activity 2. whole and small group reading. Overview of MSI. Procedure
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The BETTER the LEARNING
motivated and inquisitive
Time Frame - 2 hours
1. no vector activity
2. whole and small group reading
1. Have students read “Mystery Spill” article describing massive mysterious bird die off:http://www.scsextra.com/story.php?sid=44985
2. Introduce mystery spill and discuss the processes that scientists must go through in order to conclude possible causes. (Scientific Method, etc.)
3. Have students read about possible causes of bird deaths:
a. Pheromone spray: http://www.stopthespray.org/Impacts.htm
b. SF oil spray: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21707524/
c. Toxic algae and animals: http://www.ucsc.edu/news_events/text.asp?pid=1292
d. First encounter with algae foam: http://www.incidentnews.gov/incident/7235
e. How oil affects birds: http://www.ibrrc.org/oil_affects.html
1. Students engages in topic
2. Real news topic that puzzled scientists
3. Inquiry and research-- loved clues
4. Discussion-- rich
1. Amount of reading and difficulty
2. Without vector activity, hands on??
1. Add National Standards
2. Power words, edit articles?
3. pdf of articles (time saver, need for computers)
4. Include video clips i.e red tide
5. Hands On Activity??