The Social Patterning of Health and Illness. Week 6. Overview. The social patterning of health and illness. Problems with measuring data on health, illness and disease. Researching health and illness Inequalities in health, mental illness.
1. Although deaths under 65 are a minority, they are usually premature deaths, premature death an indicator of disadvantage as it is often preventable.
2. New evidence on health of people over 65 tends to confirm patterns of inequality found among younger people.
1. There remained a marked class gradient in health.
2. That such class differences were more marked in Britain than in many other countries.
3. That in certain respects these class differences were increasing
1 Social constructionist approaches.
2. Natural and social selection approaches.
3. Materialist-Struturalist approaches.
4. Cultural- behavioural approaches.