Reading. Fill in the blanks with new words:. ormer. 1. Clinton is the f_____ president of the USA. 2. He tried to save his son from drowning, but in v___. 3. The city was destroyed and there was no money for r____________. ain. econstruction.
1. Clinton is the f_____ president of the USA.
2. He tried to save his son from
drowning, but in v___.
3. The city was destroyed and there
was no money for r____________.
5. The failure caused his d________.
6. Parents often make s_______ for their children.
7. We got up before d____. It’s still dark outside.
The Great Leap Forward
when reason who result
30,000 years ago---1600---1861---1930s---1960s
1. The American Civil War
2. The Great Depression
3. The Civil Rights Movement
4. The arrival of Native Americans
5. The arrival of European settlers
Listen and answer:
1. Which of the followings are mentioned in the text?
( ) Segregation & civil rights
( ) Geography and climate.
( ) Hardship & suffering of the South
( ) Sports & culture
( ) Custom & film
1.Which part of the USA is more developed, the South or the North?
2. What is the south like now?
The commercial and cultural center.
2. Why does the author say that “ But the story of the South is also one of hope and success”?
Because there are signs that a new, different South is coming out of its dark past.
3.What kind of city has Atlanta become?
Modern Atlanta is a booming business centre and the home of some largest and most successful companies
in America, and also it is a representative of the new South, aplace where hope and faith have replaced fear and doubt.
4. What was the aim of the demonstrations led by Dr. Martin Luther King?
It was ending segregation.
The South is known for its hospitality./friendly atmosphere.
Part 1 (Para 1)
The suffering of the South in the past.
Part 2 (Para. 2--5 )
Hope and success of the South.
Part 3 (Para. 6)
A new beginning of the South.
Were the hardship & suffering of the South only caused by the Civil War? What else?
1.The arrival of European Settlers
2.The slave trades
3.The Civil War
4.The Great Depression
5.The Civil Rights movement
Please read Para. 1 carefully and match each event with the time and find out what hardship or suffering each event caused.
The Great depression: ________________________
The Civil Rights movement: ________
The slave trades: _____________
The arrival of European settlers: _____________________________ _________.
The Civil War: _______________
Pains of slaves
Native Americans being killed or driven off
Death & poverty
1. The people of Atlanta struggled to rebuild the city and create a new South.
2. Atlanta’s African-American community grew and black businesses became more successful.
3. Segregation disappeared and Atlanta was a successful city proud of its cultural diversity.
4. Atlanta becomes a place where hope and faith have replaced fear and doubt.
Atlanta’s rebuilding and Reconstruction
host Olympic Games
Task 1: T or F questions
( ) 1.The wounds from the past are quick to heal .
( ) 2. The fighters between blacks and whites in the 1960s were fierce.
( ) 3. It took a long time for Atlanta recover from the destruction caused by the Civil War.
( ) 4. The fight against segregation was widely supported.
( ) 5. The South has taken a chance to display its new image to the whole world.
( ) 6. Till now the South has settled all the problems.
( ) 7. The story of the South is also about hope and success.
( )8. The south began to rebuild nearly from nothing.
1. Hundreds of years ago, which of the following countries probably killed the native Americans?
A. Korea. B. Egypt.
C. England. D. Canada.
A. without success
B. in trouble
C. put into practice
3. In the last paragraph, the writer tries to support the point that ____.
A. the story of the South is about hope and
B. it is hard for the South to develop
C. Atlanta, Birmingham, Miami and Little
Rock are Southern cities which develop
D. there is no trouble with the
development of the South
A. The South has overcome many
difficulties ever since the Civil War.
B. The fights between blacks and
whites in the 1960’s were fierce.
C. There is no doubt that Atlanta is a
typical Southern city in many ways.
D. Today the South has developed
far better than the North.
A. the sufferings in the history of the
B. the quick development of the
South after the Civil War
C. the Civil Rights Movement of the
D. the famous cities of the South
Discuss the following questions in pairs :
1. Why is Atlanta in many ways a typical southern city?
It experienced the hardship of slavery, the Civil War, the post-war years and the Great Depression.
2.What were some of difficulties the people of Atlanta had to overcome after the Civil War?
There was no money to rebuild the city. Many of its citizens had died during the Civil War, African-Americans were not treated well.
3. People of many different backgrounds live and work together in Atlanta. What are the advantages of living together with people who are different with people from you? Are there any disadvantages?
★ People with different backgrounds have different ideas and knowledge,which makes the population more creative.
★It is good for people to learn about other cultures.
★Life is more interesting if people are different.
★ People from different cultures may treat each other badly.
★Life can be more difficult if people are different.
at the sacrifice of
sell sth. at a sacrifice
Parents often make sacrifices for their children.
She sacrificed her life to save her child from the fire.
He sacrifices health for/to pleasure.
The area of the house is 35 square metres.
Do you like the area where you live?
He is very famous in the area of his research.
（the former: 前者 the latter: 后者）
He is one of my former classmates.
Joan and Jane are sisters. The former is a pianist; the latter is a singer.
I don’t think he will recover.
He is beginning to recover his strength.
She soon recovered herself and stopped crying.
I almost fell but managed to recover myself.
Despite wanting to see him again, she refused to reply to his letters.
Despite what other say, I think he is a nice person.
“尽管” (= in spite of )
1949 saw the founding of our new
He has seen a great deal in his long
= witness/ experience/ undergo
A ceremony was held in honour of those killed in battle.
All our work was vain (in vain).
It is vain to resist.
②. in vain：
He tried to save his son from drowning, but in vain.
He tried in vain to memorize the poem.
determine to do sth.
= be determined to do sth.
determine + that-clause决心
= be determined + that-clause
= be determined on
We are determined on starting out early.
= We are determined on an early start.
decide to do sth.
make a decision to do sth.
make up one's mind to do sth.
decide + that-clause
（should + 动词原形）
They decided to move to New York immediately.
We decided that we should widen the road.
1. Search more related information about Atlanta.
2. Remember the new words and phrases in this passage.