Holy Smokes!. A Volcano Primer. What we will learn. Plates move and cause major events. The effects of volcanic eruptions on earth. Location of volcanic regions and why they are found at those places. 4. What hot spots are and where they are formed. What is a volcano?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A Volcano Primer
4. What hot spots are and where they are formed.
Volcanoes also form along diverging plate boundaries on land.
Ex: There are several large volcanoes along the Great Rift Valley in East Africa.
1. What’s the difference in magma and lava?
2. Why does magma rise when it is inside earth?
3. What is the ring of fire?
4. Why do volcanoes form at divergent plate boundaries?
Volcanoes also occur where an oceanic plate is subducted beneath a continental plate.
Write a ½ page summary answering these questions.
4. What is a hot spot and how does it form?
5. Why are volcanoes are located in the ring of fire?
Mauna Kea volcano
picture from www.usgs.gov
Picture from http://www.britannica.com/eb/art-89176/Hawaiis-Kilauea-is-an-active-volcano
As pahoehoe (pa-HOY-hoy) lava cools, it forms a ropelike structure.
rock structures shaped like tubes, balloons, or pillows.
Mount Pelee, Martinique