Gluskabe and Old Man Winter by Joseph Bruchac Review
1. Drama • A story written to be performed by actors for an audience
2. Characters • People who take part in the action
3. Conflict • A problem between two characters or forces
4. Theme • A message or insight about life
5. Acts • Units of the action in a drama
6. Scenes • A section of uninterrupted action in the act of a drama
7. Dialogue • The words characters say • The words of each character appear next to the character’s name
8. Script • A printed form of the play
9. Stage Directions • Sets of bracketed information that tell what the stage looks like and how the characters should move and speak.
10. Set • The construction on stage that suggests the time and place of the action
11. Props • The movable items such as a book, a suitcase, or a flashlight that the actors use to make their actions look realistic
12. Comedy • A form of drama that has a happy ending
13. Tragedy • A form of drama in which events lead to the downfall of the main character
14. Screenplays • Scripts from which movies are produced
15. Teleplays • Types of screenplays written for television
16. Radio Plays • The written format of radio broadcasts
17. Who is the main character? • Gluskabe
19. What is Gluskabe’s job? • To help the people
20. Why does the Human Being visit Gluskabe and Grandmother Woodchuck? • To ask Gluskabe to help bring the long winter to an end.
21. What does Gluskabe ask Old Man Winter to do? • Go home to the Winter Land
22. What is strange about Old Man Winter’s fire? • It is made of ice.
23. Where does Grandmother Woodchuck say that warm weather comes from? • The Summer Land
24. What does Gluskabe do to look like the people of the Summer Land? • He covers one of his eyes with a patch.
25. What does Gluskabe take with him to the Summer Land? • Four large balls
26. Why are the Summer Land people angry with Gluskabe? • They are angry because he stole a summerstick, and they are greedy people who want to keep all of the warm weather for themselves.
27. What do the crows think they are taking from Gluskabe? • The crows think they are taking Gluskabe’s head.
28. What happens when Gluskabe takes the summerstick into Old Man Winter’s wigwam? • The summerstick melts the wigwam and forces Old Man Winter to leave.
29. What happens after Old Man Winter leaves? • The sun comes out and flowers and plants appear.
30. Why does winter return each year? • Winter returns because Gluskabe took only one of the four summersticks and used it to melt winter.
31. What is the purpose of this drama? • The drama explains why the seasons change.