EDUCAITIONAL LEADERSHIP Unit 11- Lay Ministry. 45350 Dr Brad Waggoner. Unit 11. Lay Ministry: The Task of Equipping & Enabling. Growing Disciple. 2. Equipping. Establishing. Ministering Disciple. 3. 1. Convert. 4. Expanding. Evangelizing. Reproducing Disciple. Definition.
Dr Brad Waggoner
The Task of Equipping & Enabling
The responsible action of leaders in _______for, _________ and ________ individual believers for effective engagement in ________ within the Kingdom of God.
Roman 12:3-8; 1 Corinthians 12:4-31;
Ephesians 2:10; 4:11-16; Titus 2:14; 3:14;
James 1:22-25; 2:14-26; 1 Peter 4:10
God has designed the Church for a __________of __________ and ______________. Romans 12; 1Corinthians 12
God has ___________________ a lifestyle of ___________ for each believer. Ephesians 2:10
It is the responsibility of the __________ to _______ believers for ministry. Ephesians 4:11-16
It is the responsibility of each ___________ to _______in ministry. Titus 2:14; 3:14; 1 Peter 4:10
A major biblical motivation for the faithful use of gifts and engagement in ministry is ___________ __________.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Historical Overview: Movements Impacting Lay Ministry
Recent Trends, Influences & Realities
The Need: The Development of a Leadership Culture
(refer to Unit 5 and Unit 11 handouts)
1. Before you try to initiate a Lay Ministry Model you must first _____________________.
a. Revisit the mission and purpose of your church.
b. Examine the current program emphasis of your church.
c. Analyze your current lay ministry strategy.
d. Who is currently volunteering and serving?
study your ministry context
e. Identify and deal with obstacles.
Questions & Concerns Some Pastors Have
f. Avoid common mistakes.
g. Recruit and train a Lay Ministry Director.
Characteristics of Successful Directors
Birkman & Associates, an assessment organization, profiled 21 leaders in the field of lay ministry and identified the following attitudes, traits and abilities.
(Tim Sadler & Sylvia Koltzenburg, “Positions for Volunteer Efforts” June 21, 1994. Birkman & Associates, Inc., Houston, TX)
Leadership Network adds the following important characteristics of effective Lay Ministry Directors:
2. Three Key Essentials
Visible Support from the Pastor
A Lay Ministry Director
A Contextualized Plan
Step One- ____________________________
(Note: Review the Unit - The Leader & Vision)
1. What the Lay Ministry Team will do:
a. Assist in creating a _______ ______________ for lay ministry.
b. Plan the _______ __________
c. ________ and _________key leaders.
d. Make sure the overall process runs well.
DEVELOP A LAY LEADERSHIP TEAM
2. Important Characteristics of Good Team Members:
3. Some Guidelines to Consider
Step Three- _____________________________
1. Develop a Mission Statement
2. Establish Goals
SMAC Objectives (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Compatible)
ESTABLISH THE INFRASTRUCTURE
4. Appropriate funds (budget)
5. Develop Policies & Procedures
(Resource: Steve McCurley. Volunteer Management Policies. Heritage Arts Publishing.)
6. Acquire appropriate computer hardware and software
7. Write Ministry Descriptions (see handout)
Step Four- ______________________________
1. Types of interviews
DEVELOP THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
2. Guidelines for the interview (handouts 7 & 8)
3. Gifts Assessment
b. Issues & Concerns
CONNECT PEOPLE TO MINISTRY
Step Five- ____________________________________
“All dressed up and nowhere to go.”
1. First, you must identify _______________ for ____________.
2. For this to happen effectively you will need to establish good __________________ _____________ between staff and key lay leaders (Point Persons).
3. Then you must _________ the opportunities.
4. Ultimately, however, most qualified people will respond only when ____________.
Pointers for Inviting People to Serve
(Adapted from The Starter Kit for Mobilizing Ministry by Leadership Network, p.2-83)
SUPPORT & AFFIRM
Step Six- _____________________________________
1. How to support those in ministry
2. Guidelines for training
Suggestions for Planning Training Events
“ Repeatedly, we have been told by employees that the capability to do their respective jobs is the most important determinant of their satisfaction. Capability the development in many ways, not the least of which are effective selection and job assignment, training, the appropriate technological support, and efforts to put employees in touch with others who can help them.”
(The Drucker Foundation. The Leader of the Future. The Peter F. Drucker Foundation for Nonprofit Management. P 115)
3. Ways to Affirm Volunteers
Step Seven- __________________________________
1. Why is this important and necessary?
2. What is it that we evaluate?
3. What is our criteria for evaluation?
PROVIDE FEEBACK & EVALUATON
4. Some guidelines for evaluation:
Step Eight- ___________________________
1. Guidelines for Successful Recognition
2. Recognition Ideas (see handout 10)