ONLINE GAMBLING An Australian perspective Overview The development of online gambling in Australia 2. The legal framework governing online gambling in Australia 3. Market specifics 4. What it means for racing Increased competition for gambling dollar generally
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
An Australian perspective
2. The legal framework governing online gambling in Australia
3. Market specifics
4. What it means for racing
- prohibition on anybody offering online gambling to Australians.
- prohibition on anybody advertising online gambling services to Australians.
- 1990s State Governments hungry for revenue.
- Australia has the eighth highest per capita number of slot machines in world: one machine per 110 people (UK has one machine per 300 people)
- online gambling seen as taking this one step further – “CLICK THE MOUSE AND LOSE THE HOUSE”.
- 1999 Productivity Commission report.
- online wagering exempted from ban – online gaming = shift from bricks and mortar to living room. Online wagering equivalent to telephone account wagering.
- Technological blocks impeding access to offshore gaming websites.
- Financial transactions controls.
- Resources allocated to prosecuting offenders.