150 likes | 561 Views
E N D
1. Marketing Plan for Public Schools Samuel B. Hardy, III, Ed.D.
Augusta State University
2. Marketing: Defined “Marketing is an organizational function and set of processes for creating, communicating, and delivering value to customers and for managing customer relationships in ways that benefit the organization and its stakeholders.”
AMA, 2006, Definition section para. 1
3. Why marketing for public schools? External Threats (vouchers, private schools, etc.)
Public (Parental) Expectations
4. What do we do in Public Education? Service: “A service is any act or performance that one party can offer to another that is essentially intangible and does not result in the ownership of anything. Its production may or may not be tied to a physical product.”
(Kotler, 2003, p.444)
Education fits the following service requirements: it is people-based, it requires the client to be present, and it meets a personal need.
5. Plan Steps
6. Identify your Clients The overarching theme…1) create value for clients and develop useful relationships, and 2) capture value from clients as a result.
Who are your clients?
7. Your Marketplace Map your bus routes
Know the ethnicity of your marketplace
Socio-economic back drop
The major employers
Gauge their expectations
8. Communication Channels Web site
Bulletin Boards in front hallway
Public Service Announcements
School Meetings (not parent night)
Attend neighborhood/civic functions
GET THE WORD OUT!
9. School-Driven Strategy Assess your school’s assets
Promote Assets to Target Audiences
Create a Market Offering
10. Build a Program that Delivers Value Assess your Strengths and Weaknesses
Which assets best match which target audience?
Relationship Building begins with this set
11. Establish Loyalty Dissatisfied clients are very dangerous
Loyalty breeds positive responses which are self-perpetuating
The threat is real, and the threat is not going away!
12. Marketing Plan Development Mission Statement Alignment
School’s Current Situation
Targeted Segments w/Needs/Benefits Fit
13. Web Sites Small Business Administration
Education Australia Online