D E P A R T M E N T OF G E O G R A P H Y WELCOMES YOU. DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY AN OVERVIEW FOR XIth PLAN UGC TEAM’S VISIT 11th - 14th FEBRUARY 2009. INTRODUCTION.
G E O G R A P H Y
XIth PLAN UGC TEAM’S VISIT
11th - 14th FEBRUARY 2009
Notwithstanding meager staff strength, spatio-financial constraints as well as the infancy of the Department, the faculty has organized following academic but extra curricular activities.
Siachen Glacier 2008
1. State Administrative Services 25
2. Software Infotech GIS 2
3. Lecturers 5
4. Banking (Administrative) 6
5. Teachers 50
Koul M.N.,Professor (Retired)
CONFERENCES NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL ATTENDED
Paper Presented in Seminars/Conferences
Research Papers in International Journals
Research Papers in National Journals:
Long Time Objectives
1. State of Jammu & Kashmir is no less beautiful in its natural grandeur than even Switzerland and is considered to be a heaven on earth. Studies in the Geography of Tourism in such a state cannot be ignored. As such department wants to develop this subject to enlarge the scope of its students for jobs in tourist industry of not only J&K State and the entire Himalayan Region but in the country as a whole.
2. The department in collaboration with Government of Jammu & Kashmir in general and the Town and Planning department in particular plans to establish a sister department of Town and Country Planning. After obtaining the PG Degree in Geography (Economics, Sociology and Engineering) limited number of students (on merit) would be admitted for a job-oriented course in Town and Country Planning as well as in (b) Rural/Regional Planning and Development.
3. Research work and research publication is an integral part of the academic excellence. As such department now feels that it is mature enough to launch a research journal of national and international standard to widen to research in the department. However, it may take some more time to achieve this objective yet it will remain a major objective to be achieved in the next five years.
4. Department wants to develop Forest Ecology, Glaciology, Water, Environmental and other resource management specializations as these resources are basic to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.
Short Time Objectives
1. Efforts to extent the accommodation of the department.
2. Enrichment of Library with relevant books and journals.
3. Starting M.Phil Courses.
4. Inducting a Course in GIS (subject to a addition in the faculty of the