Systems Analysis and Design Fifth Edition. 1. The Software and Information Industry Association and many software industry leaders, including Microsoft, believe that the concept of __________ is redefining the way that companies develop and deploy their information systems. hardware as a help
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. The Software and Information Industry Association and many software industry leaders, including Microsoft, believe that the concept of __________ is redefining the way that companies develop and deploy their information systems.
4. When determining outsourcing fees, a __________ has a variable fee based on the number of users or workstations that have access to the application.
10. When companies use a __________, they already know the specific products or services they want and need to obtain price quotations or bids from vendors.
12. When planning a slide presentation to management at the end of the systems analysis phase, systems analysts should keep all of the following suggestions in mind except __________.
14. A __________ is a value that the user enters whenever a query is run, which provides flexibility, enables users to access information easily, and costs less.
use the Picture above.
17. __________, like that illustrated in the accompanying figure, produces an early, rapidly constructed working version of a proposed system.
1. Mission-critical IT systems should be outsourced only
if the result is a cost-effective, reliable, business solution
that fits the company’s long-term business strategy. (6)
2. A major advantage of outsourcing is that it eliminates
employee concerns about job security. (7)
3. A software package that can be used by many
different types of organizations is called a vertical
4. A software package developed to handle information
requirements for a specific type of business is called a
horizontal application. (9)
5. By designing a system in-house, companies can
develop and train an IT staff that understands the
organization’s business functions and information
support needs. (10)
6. Compared to software developed in-house, a
software package almost always is more expensive,
particularly in terms of initial investment. (11)
7. Companies that use commercial software
packages always must increase the number of
programmers and systems analysts on the IT staff.
8. Software vendors regularly upgrade software
packages by adding improvements and enhancements
to create a new version or release. (13)
9. Empowerment makes an IT department less
productive because it must spend more time
responding to the daily concerns of users and less
time on high-impact systems development projects
that support strategic business goals. (14)
10. The decision to develop software in-house will
require less participation from the systems analyst
than outsourcing or choosing a commercial package.
11. The primary objective of an evaluation and
selection team is to eliminate system alternatives
that will not work, rank the system alternatives that
will work, and present the viable alternatives to
management for a final decision. )16)
12. Return on investment (ROI) is a percentage rate that
compares the total net benefits (the return) received
from a project to the total costs (the investment) of the
13. The net percent value (NPV) of a project is the
total value of the benefits minus the total value of the
costs, with both costs and benefits adjusted to reflect
the point at which they occur. (18)
14. A request for quotation (RFQ) is less specific than
an RFP (request for proposal). (19)
15. A systems analyst must understand the logical
design of a system before beginning the physical
design of any one component. (29)
16. A system is reliable if it adequately handles errors,
such as input errors, processing errors, hardware
failures, or human mistakes. (30)
17. Automated methods of data entry should be
avoided whenever possible. (34)
18. Although every project has budget and financial
constraints, decisions that achieve short-term savings
but might mean higher costs later should be avoided.
19. Allowing users to experiment with a prototype and
provide feedback on how well it meets their needs can
increase development costs, but the expense will be
offset by lower costs in subsequent SDLC phases. (39)
20.Category codes are alphabetic abbreviations. (44)
Multiple Choice – Chapter 7
2. Initial screen designs can be presented to users in the form of a(n) __________, which is a sketch that shows the general screen layout and design.
5. Good interface design is based partly on __________, which provides the operational structure required to carry out the design objectives.
6. In a data entry screen such as that shown in the accompanying figure, a(n) __________ is a control feature that initiates an action such as printing a form or requesting Help.
7. In a data entry screen such as that shown in the accompanying figure, a(n) __________ is a control feature that is used to represent on or off status and switches to the other status when clicked.
8. In a data entry screen such as that shown in the accompanying figure, a __________ is a control feature that displays the current selection and, when a user clicks the arrow, a roster of available choices.
9. In a data entry screen such as that shown in the accompanying figure, a __________ is a control feature that is used to select one or more choices from a group.
10. The concept that the quality of the output is only as good as the quality of the input, which sometimes is known as __________, is familiar to IT professionals, who recognize that the best time to avoid problems is when data is entered.
16. On a source document, the __________ contains codes, identification information, numbers, and dates that are used for storing completed forms.
17. On a source document, the main part of the form, called the __________, usually takes up at least half of the space on the form and contains captions and areas for entering variable data.
18. Because users tend to skim a Web page, picking out individual words and sentences, Web designers must use __________ to capture and hold a user’s attention.
23. After a report design is approved, the design should be documented in a __________, which contains information about the fields, data types and lengths, report frequency and distribution, and other comments.
Multiple Choice – Chapter 8
1. __________ is the measure of a system’s ability to expand, change, or downsize easily to meet the changing needs of a business enterprise.
7. A fat client design is __________ to develop than a thin client design, because the architecture resembles traditional file server designs where all processing is performed at the client.
10. When developing e-business systems, an in-house solution usually requires a __________ for a company that must adapt quickly in a dynamic e-commerce environment.
16. In a __________, one computer (typically a mainframe), controls the network, and satellite computers or servers control lower levels of processing and network devices.
18. As shown in the accompanying figure, at the center of a star network, which is called the __________, a central computer manages the network.
22. Apart from backup and recovery procedures necessary to sustain business operations __________ laws and regulations apply to company data.
23. The __________ section in a typical system design specification contains the complete design for a new system, including the user interface, outputs, inputs, files, databases, and network specifications.
24. The __________ section in a typical system design specification describes the constraints, or conditions, affecting a system, including any requirements that involve operations, hardware, systems software, or security.
25. In the __________ section in a typical system design specification, startup processing, initial data entry or acquisition, user training requirements, and software test plans are specified.