Ethnic Minorities in Science HUB-202 Course objectives To understand the history and culture of science in the United States, in order to understand the contributing factors that have led to the current under representation of ethnic minorities in science
2. “Two cultures” problem in U.S. – low level of science education among majority of U.S. citizens
2. Two cultures problem, cont’d.
3. New, enlarged perspective on scientific illiteracy focuses on scientists themselves
1) In the early stages of Little League practices, we’ve noticed that boys were generally more accurate than girls when throwing a baseball.
2) As adults, men are more likely than women to engage in ball sports.
3) We know from anthropological research that in many non-technological human societies, men perform more of the hunting tasks than women.
“If boys have an inborn throwing skill and girls don’t, then boys will be more accurate than girls when throwing an object which neither have much experiences with – for instance, a javelin.”