1.4k likes | 1.54k Views
What does an adjective do in our language?. describes a noun or pronoun. 2. What are the 3 adjective test questions?. -. what kind which one how many. 3. What are the comparative and superlative endings?. er est. 4. Find the proper adjective: The Aristocats must
E N D
What does an • adjective do in our • language?
describes a noun • or pronoun
2. What are the 3 adjective test questions?
- what kind which one how many
3. What are the comparative and superlative endings?
er • est
4. Find the proper adjective: The Aristocats must take an English final exam on Wednesday.
English • (a proper adjective • is capitalized)
5. Correct: I heard that the science final is more harder than the math final.
I heard that the • science final is harder • than the math final. • (remove the “more” • since harder ends in • -er)
6. Put into comparative form: good sweet interesting
-better -sweeter -more interesting
Put into superlative • form: • bad • cold • exciting
worst (irregular) • coldest (regular) • most exciting • (longer adjectives • need more/most)
8. What do adverbs do in our language?
describe verbs, • adjectives, and • other adverbs
9. What four questions can adverbs answer for us?
when • where • how • -how often
Correct: • He had hardly no • errors on his paper.
-He had hardly any errors on his paper. -He had no errors on his paper. (two ways to correct)
11. Give comparative forms for: badly early awkwardly
-worse (irregular) -earlier (regular) -more awkwardly (longer adverbs need more/most)
Give superlative • forms for: • well • happily • soon
-best -most happily -soonest
13. What is the indepen- dent clause in this sentence? Whenever it rains, our roof leaks.
our roof leaks • (can stand alone as • a complete thought • - independent)
14. List any four subordinating conjunctions.
when, whenever, where, wherever, while, as, if, as if, as though, though, although, even though, as long as, as soon as, as much as, in order that
so that, than, before, after, since, unless, until, how, because
15. Where does a comma go in this sentence? After school ends my family will go on a vacation.
-After school ends, my family will go on a vacation. (comma goes after adverb clause SC K, K pattern)
16. Provide punctuation in this sentence: The pool opens soon because summer is here
The pool opens soon • because summer is • here. • (only end mark needed • because adverb clause • is at end of sentence)
17. What is the adverb clause in this sentence? If I get a summer job, I won’t be able to go with you next month.
If I get a summer job • (adverb clause is • dependent and begins • with a subordinating • conjunction – if)
18. What is the adjective clause in this sentence? Mary, who is my best friend, invited me to her birthday party.
-who is my best friend (a dependent clause that begins with a relative pronoun – who)
19. Pick out the relative pronouns from this list: who when so where which because and that
20. What gives the poet freedom to miss- pell words, mispro- nounce words, and even create his/her own contractions?
21. What is another name for this rhyme scheme: ABCDEFG?
blank verse • (no rhyming)
What do we • call the following • rhyme scheme? • AABBCCDDEE
-rhyming couplets (every two lines rhyme)
23. Identify the figure of speech in the follow- ing 7 slides: freshly fried french fries
Alliteration • (repetition of the • beginning consonant • sound – FR)
24. The flowers stretched in a never-ending line.
hyperbole • (an exaggeration)
25. The bell rang on time.