Our Web Site: A Success Story - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

nuwa
slide1 n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Our Web Site: A Success Story PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Our Web Site: A Success Story

play fullscreen
1 / 35
Download Presentation
Our Web Site: A Success Story
100 Views
Download Presentation

Our Web Site: A Success Story

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. The Medical College embraces the Internet to communicate its message to targeted audiences, including donors, alumni, prospective students, faculty and staff, current and prospective patients, and the general public.The goal of using the Web is to increase public understanding and support of the College’s missions.- Public Affairs 04-05 Strategic Plan

  2. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  3. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  4. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  5. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  6. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  7. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  8. Our Web Site: A Success Story • Institutional leadership in web initiatives • AAMC Award of Excellence for Web site redesign • ~4 million visitors/year to College Web sites • 185+ trained in Content Management System • Migration of 85% of non-standard web pages into the corporate standard Web site • +10,000 pages created • Monthly intra-College user’s meetings • Cross-department, collaborative Intranet

  9. Our Web Site is: A reflection of the College and its Mission. A public face for our institutions and the people who work here. A doorway into our organization. A way people think about us and what we value.

  10. Content & Functionality Analysis • Do we provide content that attracts web visitors? • Is our Web site easy to navigate? • Does our Web site lead to contact with our constituents?

  11. Medical College in Context How does MCW compare with other American Medical Colleges? Data compiled from: MCW Traffic Analysis for 2004, andGreystone Benchmarking, as presented at the 2005 AAMC Conference Data analysis is approximate

  12. Medical College in ContextHow does MCW compare with other American Medical Colleges? Average number of Web site user sessions per monthAMC: 266,479 MCW: 493,409 Average number of web user sessions refers to a broad count of unique visitors to our Web sites

  13. Medical College in ContextHow does MCW compare with other American Medical Colleges? Average number of e-newsletter subscribers: AMC: 4,450 MCW (Healthlink): ~30,000 Average number of e-newsletter subscribers refers to the number of unique email address in the subscriptions database.

  14. Medical College in ContextHow does MCW compare with other American Medical Colleges? Average number of page views per session AMC: 4.29 MCW: 3.74(“per visit”) Average number of page views per session refers to the number of pages a web visitor looked at before leaving our site

  15. Medical College in ContextHow does MCW compare with other American Medical Colleges? Average user session length: AMC: 8.32 minutes MCW: 2.55 minutes The average use session length refers to how intensely people are looking at a site. A long average session time might imply that they are really reading pages carefully. Conversely, a low length of time might indicate that people are not reading pages very thoroughly.

  16. Medical College in ContextHow does MCW compare with other American Medical Colleges? Average number of monthly Web contacts AMC: 351 MCW: 67 (self-referral sources and webmaster email) The average number of monthly web contacts refers to how many web visitors initiated contact with the institution.

  17. Content Diagnosis: • 100 MCW departments, centers and institutes have created +10,000 pages since 2003. • Web traffic to mcw.edu is plateauing. • Visitor time on mcw.edu is below AMC average. • Contact rate from Web site is below AMC average. • The top 20 mcw.edu pages account for 15% of page visits; the remaining 85% of visits are spread among all other pages. ◦

  18. Functionality Diagnosis: • Five different navigation menu choices may confront the visitor. • Navigation is site specific, not content specific. • Content management system reflects organizational structure. • Search engine results are not tailored to visitor. • Most content is arranged institutionally, rather than by audience. • Up to 1/2 of page ‘real estate’ is used for graphics.

  19. Diagnostic Problem: A web visitor unfamiliar with MCW: • may not find the content they want • may leave our Web site to look elsewhere for information A lost visitor, may become a lost constituent.

  20. Diagnostic Conclusion: We are a complex organization… … and our Web site reflects our complexity.

  21. Antidote: As a complex organization, with a Web site reflecting our complexity, we should... • Focus our web development on improvements in: • Content • Functionality (Navigability) • Marketing We should provide access to content our constituents want, in a way that is easy to find, and which leads to future contact.

  22. How to we determine Content, Functionality and Marketing Needs? • From our Constituents: • People who use our Web site • People who we want to attract to our institutions • People who are supporters of our organization • People who may discover our Web site

  23. Who are our Primary Constituents? • Students • Faculty & Staff • Patients • Alumni & Donors • Health Information Consumers Prospective and Existing

  24. Constituent Sub Committees Committees will determine specific needs of their constituent audiences and make recommendations for addressing content, functionality and marketing. • Students • Faculty & Staff • Patients • Alumni & Donors • Health Info Consumers

  25. Standing Committees of the Web Council Committees will review and consolidate the data obtained from the constituent sub committees and make recommendations for addressing content, functionality and marketing. • Design/FunctionalityChair: Patty Confer • TechnologyChair: Jeff Hagedorn • MarketingChair: Kathleen Sheehan • IntranetChair: Carl Chan • PolicyChair: Eileen Early

  26. Web Development Team Team will provide ongoing staffing and prepare budget, software, hardware and vendor requirements for project plan. • Keith Murphy • Mike Sauer • Linda LeMahieu • Jeff Hagedorn • Patty Confer

  27. Participants • Web Council Members • Constituent sub committees • CMS Editors Group • Advisory Board Members • Institutional Partners • Web Visitors

  28. Project Management Timeline Project Timeline

  29. Plan Development Phases • Discovery Phase – Constituents/Stakeholders • July - September • Evaluation Phase – Stakeholders/ Web Council Comm. • September - October • Plan Drafting Phase – Web Development Team • October - November • Plan Review Phase – Decision Makers • December - January

  30. Key Activities in Timeline • Process Launch . June 3, 2005 • Discovery Process . July/August/September, 2005 • Draft Due . October 17, 2005 • Web Council Status . September 8, 2005 • Web Council Review . November, 2005 • Web Council Adoption . January 4, 2006 Dates subject to scheduling

  31. Strategic Web Plan 2006-2011Objectives: • To advance Content, Functionality and Marketability of the Web site. • To obtain stakeholder buy-in, resource and budget allocation. • To identify and prioritize objectives which will guide the next phase of web development from 2006-2011.

  32. The top 20 mcw.edu pages account for 15% of page visits; the remaining 85% of visits are spread among all other pages.