MAGNETS. AND ELECTROMAGNETISM. MAGNETISM. FOUNDATIONS OF SCIENCE. MAGNETISM. Electric currents or the movement of electrons in an atom will create the property of magnetism in an objec t -Stop and Think- Write what you know about magnets right now. DISCOVERY OF MAGNETS.
FOUNDATIONS OF SCIENCE
-Stop and Think-
Magnetic fields are the area of force around a magnet
Magnetic fields are shown in a diagram with magnetic field lines
Magnetic field lines always leave the North Pole and enter the South Pole
Magnetic field lines never cross
What is the significance of paired and unpaired electrons in the atom?
1. DOMAINS ARE CLUSTERS OF MAGNETICALLY ALIGNED ATOMS
2. EACH CLUSTER HAS ATOMS WITH FIELDS POINTING IN THE SAME DIRECTION
3. WHEN DOMAINS ARE ALL ALIGNED IN THE SAME DIRECTION, THE MATERIAL EXHIBITS MAGNETISM
1. A MATERIAL LIKE AN IRON NAIL CAN BE MAGNETIZED BY A STRONG MAGNET
2. IT WOULD CAUSE THE SCATTERED DOMAINS TO ALIGN TEMPORARILY
3. WHEN IT IS REMOVED FROM THE MAGNET, THE DOMAINS BECOME RANDOM AGAIN
What is was the significance of Earth’s magnetism in our unit on plate tectonics?
amplify the field
MANY DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS