Coalition for African Rice Development (CARD). CARD WORKSHOP ON NRDS OF SECOND GROUP OF COUNTRIES IDENTIFICATION OF CHAMPIONS: LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE FIRST GROUP OF COUNTRIES Souleymane DIOUF – CARD Consultant AFRICA Rice Center Cotonou, BENIN 05 – 09 June 2010 . OUTLINE. Introduction
CARD WORKSHOP ON NRDS OF SECOND GROUP OF COUNTRIESIDENTIFICATION OF CHAMPIONS: LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE FIRST GROUP OF COUNTRIES
Souleymane DIOUF – CARD Consultant
AFRICA Rice Center
Cotonou, BENIN 05 – 09 June 2010
II. Identification of champions for the elaboration of strategies
III. Identification of champions for the planning and funding process
In all countries, the elaboration of strategies (PSRPs and sector-based strategies) is now based on the participative
approach (formal implication of all concerned stakeholders such
as public bodies, private sector, civil society, NGOs, donors,
--------The issues which are treated in strategies are important as far as they can be declined in programs / projects to be funded.
Question : What are the champions for the elaboration of PSRPs and sector-based strategies?
- According to the institutional arrangements prevailing in each country, the lead Ministry which is the champion can be one of the Ministries in charge of Economy, or Finance / Planning
- Stakeholders = other line Ministries such as the Ministry in charge of agriculture, the donors community who in several countries have their policy dialogue frameworks, the private sector, farmers organizations and NGOs.
- Stakeholders = those having activities relevant for the sector development : other line Ministries, private sector, farmers’ organizations and NGOs…etc.
* Composition of stakeholders : can vary according to the degree of decentralization for which countries can be classified in two categories: (i) the countries advanced well in decentralization and (ii) the countries where the process of decision-making is centralized.
-----------Tanzania, Uganda and Mozambique =
----------- other countries = second category.
1) Countries advanced well in decentralization : Case of Tanzania
Planning of programs and projects at local level = under the
responsibilities of local stakeholders: Local Governments authorities (LGAs), private sector enterprises and farmers ’organisations.
---- LGAs in their respective districts have District Agricultural Development Plans (DADPs) managed and conducted by the District Agricultural and Livestock Development Officer (DALDO)
---- Thus, NRDS will be championed by the DALDO at district and regional levels for inclusion in the DADPs.
2)Countries where the process of decision-making is centralized
Planning process = generally undertaken by :
--------Champions are = Ministry in charge of Agriculture and (ii) Ministry responsible of Economic and Finance Affairs and other line Ministries
Other stakeholders= other line Ministrieshaving relevant activities, DP.
1) Countries advanced well in decentralization
---- Case of Tanzania
Implementation of expenditure frameworks takes place at both central government and LGA level.
A)For implementing national expenditure frameworks, the central government, through the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs + interested line ministries = responsible for managing the various funding frameworks that facilitate implementation. ---- Champions= MFEA + line Ministry
- The sector ministries are responsible for managing sector basket funds through institutional arrangements which they set up.
------ For agriculture, ASDP Basket Fund = managed by a Secretariat and supervised by the Agricultural Sector Lead Ministries (ASLMs) under the auspices of the Agricultural Sector Steering Committee (ASSC):
Composition of ASSC = Agriculture, Food Security and Cooperatives, Livestock Development and Fisheries, Industry, Trade and Marketing; Water Development and Irrigation and the Prime Ministers' Office.
------That is why, for the implementation of agricultural national expenditure frameworks, champions = ASSC and Ministry of Agriculture.
----- Stakeholders = ASLMs & development partners.
B) For funding process of decentralized programs
ASDP expenditures will be at LGA level and will be provided through three fiscal grant transfers from the ASDP Basket Fund: (i) District Agricultural Development Grant (DADG); (ii) Extension Block Grant (EBG); and (iii) Agricultural Capacity Building Grant (A-CBG).
------ Champions = LGAs
-------Stakeholders = beneficiaries (farmers and or private sector organizations).
The funding decision belongs to the central governments and the development partners
--- Champions = Ministry in charge of Agriculture / LM, Ministry in charge of Finance and donors funding or planning to fund the agricultural sector.
(b) For the Program / Projects- based expenditures, the donors and the project management who are responsible are the main stakeholders and champions.
------Key role & responsibilities = analysed for each country