Magnetic Microactuators for Liver Collagen Removal MAE 268/MATS 254: MEMS Materials, Fabrication and Applications Professor Bandaru, Professor Jin, Professor Talke Shalini Ananda, Dor Y. Ashur . Introduction. Liver fibrosis: Excessive accumulation
Magnetic Microactuators for Liver Collagen RemovalMAE 268/MATS 254: MEMS Materials, Fabrication and ApplicationsProfessor Bandaru, Professor Jin, Professor TalkeShalini Ananda, Dor Y. Ashur
of collagen that occurs in most types of chronic liver diseases.
Size = 5 microns
A combination of both magnetic and electrostatic forces in would exploit the advantages of each actuation force
Magnetic Microactuators for MEMS Enabled Ventricular Cathers for Hydrocelpahus, Lee et al, IEE EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering. 2007
3. Expose new collagen to the micro actuators and measure the quantity and quality of interaction
4. Photograph tested collagen samples to assess homogeneity and efficacy
- Homogeneity of collagen removal may have an effect on the potency of the treatment
4. Test the designed actuators in a cell simulated environment
Pitch of screw = 0.5mm
Motor driven by 200steps /rev
400 steps/mm of displacement
Force = weight of saddle x sine of angle of tilt.
Sensitivity = 0.1micrometer
Biddulph et al , Meds Sci. Techno 5 (1994) 9-11
Cells will be grown over the actuator surface for different time spans to achieve varying levels of scar formation.
Actuation at several frequencies around 50 Hz
Images will be taken before and after actuation
Images will be taken at time points: t= 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 minutes.
High resolution stereoscopic digital camera
- Further miniaturization is needed for actual human use
If the devices are scaled by a factor of s-1, then the magnetic torque and angular stiffness will scale by S-3. The scaled device will achieve the same angular deflection.
- Further design of combined magnetic and electrostatic actuators could improve efficacy.