King John and the Magna Carta. Magna Carta is Latin for. The Magna What???. …“Great Charter”. Why is the Magna Carta so Great???. 1) Signed in 1215, it was the first document that made the King accountable to the people in his kingdom. .
1) Signed in 1215, it was the first document that made the King accountable to the people in his kingdom.
2) Gave people certain liberties and rights that couldn’t be taken away.
3) It is used as a model for the U.S. founding fathers
1) Argument with the Church about how it should be run
- Pope banned all church services in England and people feared that they would all go to hell
2) John went to war twice against the French
- Lost control of land in France
3) Raised Taxes to fight wars
1) King can’t interfere in Church matters
2) Everyone has the right to a fair trial in a court, not in secret
3) Fair taxation
4) Certain liberties and rights are guaranteed
The United States has all of these rights in the Constitution.