Matter Quiz Review Worksheet Answers. Matter Quiz Review Worksheet. 1. What is matter? anything that has mass and takes up space 2. What is an atom? smallest basic building blocks of matter 3. What are the three states of matter? Solid, liquid, and ga s
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. What is matter?
anything that has mass and takes up space
2. What is an atom?
smallest basic building blocks of matter
3. What are the three states of matter?
Solid, liquid, and gas
4. What are three things that are NOT matter?
Heat, light, and sound
5. What is an element?
A substance that consists of just one type of atom
6. What is a compound?
Two or more different atoms bonded (connected) together
7. What is mass?
a measure of how much matter an object contains
8. What is volume?
the amount of space that matter in an object occupies
9. Draw 3 diagrams of how the atoms of a solid, liquid and gas are arranged.
10. How do the atoms in a solid, liquid and gas move?
solid: vibrate in place
liquid: slide past each other
gas: move very quickly
11. What are the shapes (definite or indefinite) of a solid, liquid, and gas?
12. What are the volumes (definite or indefinite) of a solid, liquid, and gas?
13. What are examples EACH of a solid, liquid and gas?
14. What are freezing point and boiling point of water (the two temperatures in oC)?
freezing point of water 0oC
boiling point of water 100oC
15. Where are protons and neutrons located in an atom?
In the nucleus
16. Know the definitions of the phase changes (melting, boiling/vaporization, freezing, condensation, sublimation, deposition, and evaporation) and what happens to the temperature.
the process by which a solid becomes a liquid
Boiling is a process by which a liquid becomes a gasof bubbles that contain energetic molecules that have escaped from the liquid
change of matter from a liquid state to a gas
the process by which a liquid becomes a solid
the process by which a gas becomes a liquid
when solids change directly to a gas
When a gas changes directly to a solid
the process by which a liquid becomes a gasat the surface of a liquid
17. Where are electrons located in an atom?
Orbiting around the nucleus
18. What is the MAXIMIMUM number of electrons that can be in the EACH of the following places: Energy Street, Energy Freeway, and Energy Superhighway?
Energy Street: 2
Energy Freeway: 8
Energy Superhighway: 18
19a. What is the name of the element?
b. What is the element symbol?
c. What is the atomic number?
19d. What is the atomic mass?
e. How many protons are there?
f. How many electrons are there?
g. How many neutrons are there?
7 electrons –
2 on Energy Street,
5 on Energy Freeway