Randolph-Henry High School Auditorium. Our Beginnings. All information comes from old Randolph-Henry annuals and newspapers. Pictures were scanned from those same sources or were provided by various individuals. Planning Begins.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
All information comes from old Randolph-Henry annuals and newspapers. Pictures were scanned from those same sources or were provided by various individuals.
At first, there were 8 high schools in Charlotte County. The idea for consolidation began in 1927; ten years were spent in discussion. When Phenix High School was destroyed by fire in 1937, the Charlotte County School Board decided to consolidate.
Charlotte County received a PWA grant of $105,000, the county raised $106,000, and David K. E. Bruce donated $25,000 for a total value of $236,000.
Construction started October 1938. Work was completed December 1939. However, because of a record snowstorm, school did not begin in buildings until September 1939. Enrollment: 711 students.
The School Board voted to name the school “Charlotte County High School.” However the students requested to have a say in the naming of the school. The Board agreed and a vote was taken: Randolph was chosen for John Randolph, and Henry was chosen for Patrick Henry.
Student Vote from November, 1939:
Randolph Henry H. S. (284)
Charlotte County H. S. (156)
Henry Randolph H. S. (126)
In September of 1939, the chapter of the FFA and the FHA were founded. Mr. H. A. Glenn advised the FFA and the meeting was held at the Village Presbyterian Church. The FFA is still active today.
On February 26, 1940, Clyde Duval organized the Band with 6 members.
By 1942, the band had grown to 35 and purchased 35 uniforms.
In addition to starting the band, Mr. Duval also wrote our school song.
A piano class is formed in 1939 under the instruction of Mrs. Lessie Owen.
The earliest picture of the piano class from the 1942 annual.
Glee Club is formed in 1939 under the direction of Mrs. Rebecca Paine.
The earliest picture of the choral class from the 1942 annual.
Mrs. Frances Milton organized the first theatre club, “Delta Omicron Psi,” who won the Southside Dramatic Tournament cup in 1940 for its presentation of “My Lady’s Lace.” This picture is of Mrs. Elizabeth Priddy who took over in 1941 after Mrs. Milton’s death.
The auditorium was used for the first time when the Local Women’s Club sponsored a beauty contest with 91 participants in March 1940. This was followed by a Historical Pageant.
However, these two shows revealed a need:
On June 10, 1940, the Randolph-Henry High School Auditorium was dedicated.
On January 28, 1941, the first royalty show was performed with the permission of Samuel French: “The Nervous Miss Niles.” Tickets were 35 cents.
By the time the first R-H student-produced paper was formed, the theatre club was making headlines. In 1942, the students recognized the importance of the arts.
These are the only known photos to exist of Central High School’s auditorium.
The performing arts were also important to the students of Central High School.
“Faith is for the future. Faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us.”
~Jeffrey R. Holland
The original Lighting Board
The original Equipment Room
The Katrina Project
The skills and confidence that our young people continue to develop in this very auditorium will be taken with them through life.
As Performing Artists