Topic 7 Drugs affecting the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM. How Metabolism is controlled and mediated by hormones. Many disorders are due to either over or under secretion of a hormones Endocrinology Can potentiate normal hormonal action Inhibit hormonal action. Drugs affecting THYROID gland.
Decrease in thyroid activity caused by :
1. Hashimotos thyroiditis (Auto immune disorder.)
2. Myxoedema If hypothyroidism not treated
3. Iodine deficiency.
4. Radioactive iodine ingestion.
5. Atrophy of thyroid gland.
6. Surgical removal of all or part of gland.
3 Naturally occurring Groups
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
1. Moon Face
2. Buffalo hump
5. Menstrual irregularities
Oestrogen only preparations
Progesterone only preparations
Do you know the signs and symptoms of a “hypo” ?
1: Stimulates insulin secretion
2: inhibits gluconeogenesis (forming glucose from amino acids and fatty acids)
3: increases the number of insulin receptors in the target cells