Narration and Description. AP Lang Rhetorical Strategy #1. The Basics. Narrates: tells a story to make a point Describes : evokes the senses to create a picture. Purpose. 1. Introduce or illustrate a complicated subject 2. A method to analyze an issue or theme
Rhetorical Strategy #1
1. Introduce or illustrate a complicated subject
2. A method to analyze an issue or theme
3.Report actions and describe the feelings of people involved
*Your essay must have a purpose and be focused!!!!
1. writer vs. himself/herself (man vs. self)
2. writer vs. others (man vs. man)
3. writer vs. environment (man vs. nature—can be stereotypes too)
-Plot: coherent sequence of events
-Pace: the speed at which the writer recounts events
Selection of details: Select details that satisfy the needs of your readers and further the purpose of your essay.
-Point of view:
point—person and position of the narrator
view—attitude toward the experience
**Be sure to represent the events in your narrative so that your story makes its point!!!