WOMEN ICT SUMMIT (WITS). Dr. (Mrs .) Wunmi Hassan, PhD President/CEO High Tech Centre for Nigerian Women and Youths ( Non-Governmental Organisation). At Global Distant Learning Institute Opposite Federal Ministry of Finance, Abuja. 2 nd - 4 th September, 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. (Mrs.) Wunmi Hassan, PhD
High Tech Centre for Nigerian Women and Youths
At Global Distant Learning Institute
Opposite Federal Ministry of Finance, Abuja.
2nd - 4th September, 2014
Aims and Objectives
1. To provide computer education and Information Technology literacy for Nigerian women and youths at all levels.
2. To create avenues to educate Nigeria women and youths in ICT by organising seminars, workshops, summits, IT camps and conferences.
3. To encourage networking and cooperation for Nigeria women and youths development in Information Technology with other national and international organisations (private and public), non-governmental organisations and voluntary agencies with similar objectives and initiatives.
4. To facilitate the establishment of IT centres and ICT Clubs in schools, work places and communities where women and youths can have access to information communications technology.
5. To serve as repository of information to women and especially girls on ICT for empowerment in economic and educational development.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is technology that supports activities involving the creation, storage, manipulation and communication of information, together with the related methods, management and application.
It enables us to record, store, process, retrieve, and transmit information.
It encompasses modern technologies such as computers, telecommunications, facsimile and microelectronics.
It also refers to technologies that provide access to information through telecommunications.
Nigeria has done better here than in any other ICT area
Rated as one of
sector in Africa
Source: NCC; * as at February 2010
Enable changes in the way people live, work, interact and acquire knowledge
Communication in real-time with others in different countries using technologies such as instant messaging, and video-conferencing
Social networking websites like Face book allow users to remain in contact and communicate on a regular basis.
The acquisition, processing, storage and dissemination of vocal, pictorial, textual and numerical information by a microelectronics
People use communication sources to articulate their grievances on local problems.
CANiComputer for All Nigerians Initiative : Its PPPP, 2006 to make computers available to all Nigerians at a affordable price
SABiState Accelerated Broadband Initiative : It’s a private sector building and running broadband infrastructure with government support. Provision of wireless broadband services to stimulate increase in internet usage e-education, commerce ,governance
IXP Internet Exchange Point : local internet traffic stay within , to ensure faster and a more effective communication
Domain Name Administration in Nigeria
Unified Licensing Regime: To enable telecom operators provide many services
Adoption of Space Technology : 2 Satellites have been launched earth observation and communication satellites
Rural Telephony and Nigerian post – WSIS monitoring and Evaluation exercise
keeps you in touch with diverse opportunities
links you up with people of all races & breaks all
distance and geographical boundaries
expands your horizon & reach for employment
grants you ‘global citizenship’
endless opportunities to break new grounds & create wealth
youthful innovators & role models abound to keep the youth inspired
Who are they???
Theme:“Women and National Security: Utilizing ICT for Community Policing and Self Actualisation”
About the Event and its Aims:
The Summit will expose women to security challenges in Nigeria and the need to actualize their potentials using ICT tools for development, while taking cognizance of their corporate roles in community policing for a safe society and family protection.
TRAIN A WOMAN AND YOU ARE TRAINING A NATION…
POWER UP….. WOMEN IN TECHNOLOGY
YOU ARE WELCOME