Ingredients:2 x 15ml spoons olive oil, 1 onion, 1 red pepper, a few drops of Tabasco (hot pepper sauce), 2 x 15ml spoons fresh or dried thyme, 200g long grain rice, 400ml can coconut milk, 500ml water, 400g can black eye peas.
1. Peel onion. Make a bridge with your hand and cut the onion in half. Put the flat sides down on the board.
2. Hold the onion firmly, with your hand like a claw. Slice across without cutting through the root.
3. Turn the onion round and still holding it like a claw, slice in the other direction.
6. Cut down the side of the pepper and open it up into a long strip. Remove any seeds and the white fibrous strips.
7. Stack two or three pieces of pepper on top of each other and cut into strips.
17. Bring the mixture to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is cooked and the liquid absorbed. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary.
18. Whilst the rice is cooking, prepare the plantain. Start by cutting off each end.
19. Make two parallel cuts through the skin along the length of the plantain.
24. Place the slices of plantain in the hot oil and fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
28. These should be golden brown and crisp on the outside.You may like to sprinkle a little salt on them.
29. Ten minutes before the rice is cooked, drain the can of black eye peas and rinse under cold running water.
32. Serve the rice ‘n’ peas with the plantain accompaniment.